Manpower

There are newer employer reviews for Manpower

Great Company for Driven and Motivated Employees -All Others Go Somewhere Else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Flexibility to work towards what you want in a career. No micro-managing they believe everyone should be a leader and be able to run their day to get their job done. Freedom to be creative and come up with new ideas to better help customers and candidates - innovation is actually encouraged.

Cons

Complex industry that can be tough to understand at first. If you are not a driven top performer you will not be happy there, they foster an atmosphere for people that are do'ers. Most people that leave or do not like Manpower is because they are not good workers that could get the job done.

Keep doing what you are doing.

606 Other Employee Reviews for Manpower (View Most Recent)

Manpower was well worth my time.

Former Employee - Programmer in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Programmer in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Manpower

Pros

Depending on the employer you are assigned to, the career opportunities are pretty wide open. I worked as a "Programmer" for one of Manpower's clients and ended up doing database development, audit compliance, documenation, some project management as well as programming. It was a very diverse position because the client needed help in a lot of areas. I also appreciated that you could accrue vacation time after a certain period, which I thought was highly unusual for a temp position. Their time entry web tool was very nice and it was great that you didn't have to submit paper timesheets.

Cons

Well it's a temp job so the staff barely know your name but when something bad happens, they pay attention (like I had a personal situation and then they knew who I was). Plus while they do have benefits, they're pretty spendy, like the medical insurance. I also wished I could've gotten the vacation time but you had to be there like 18 months or something. I wish that time span would've been shorter. I once got a "reward" for getting a raise from the client which was a cute little clock, but the battery was dead so I had to pay $10 to get my "reward" to work.

I think for the most part, everything is pretty well set up. The position listing was simple. The interview process was straightforward and quick. The expectations were fair. What I would recommend is figuring out a way for the representative to make you feel more welcome, as I didn't really feel that. I also would recommend that Manpower, and every other business, create a computerized application system so employees don't have to fill out all those forms by hand. Otherwise, it was a pretty good gig.

Can be a good place for students to find quick summer employment.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Elgin, IL

I worked at Manpower

Pros

It is a good place for students to find summer work, along with anyone else that does not have a college degree. They offer various assignments that differ greatly in work hours, so finding a position at a company that has hours that will not conflict with activities or summer courses will not be too difficult to do. You also can start working very quickly, I started my position less than a week after I first walked in to find out what kind of positions they were looking to fill. All of the staff I met were very helpful and nice.

Cons

There are not always a lot of jobs to choose from and they may not provide you any experience for the future. I was in school for a bachelors in business but was unable to secure a position with much relevance. Many of the jobs are manufacturing based rather than office based. Also, many of the position they were trying to fill at the time I applied were 2nd or 3rd shift, which I had no interest in. Many of the jobs are quite short term, and I believe almost all are only temporary positions. You also don't get paid as much as you would working directly for the company you are contracted to.

Everything seemed fine for the one assignment I took from them. I only needed a short summer position that fit around my other activities, so I really was not there long enough to give much input here.

There are newer employer reviews for Manpower