There are newer employer reviews for Mapjects

The best experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mapjects

Pros

I got to work on what I liked, and came out polished and confident with a sense of pride, so I loved every day of the work.

Initially I was in Mapjects products (Energy Management Systems, Fraud detection, Data visualizations, GIS, BI) and moved to consulting side. So, they trained me ground up on their core products and invested in me without rushing me - For e.g. firms like Accenture put you on the meter, i.e. you have to bill the client to make a paycheck all the time, but here we were more resources they invested and educated, I truly appreciated that effort.

Now to aspect of my work, I came from a sales background, so it took me sometime to come up to speed, and I had all the support I needed, so I loved it, they also have some of the most weird/curious equipments in their prototype/labs. I was able to make a difference, succeed and deliver. I am a "groupie", there was a lot of collaboration, sharing and brainstorming, and these sessions were the core of our engineering sessions, we first mapped out what we understand and went after the goals for the products or the client's objectives. In summary, I liked how they gave me the freedom and still kept me focused - it was a lot of fun!

My horizons grew, because I learned a lot about emerging technologies and trends, like smartgrid, 13514, energy management, financial risk OFAC, PHR, Health Care, Environmental sustainability. This is probably the most important for me, since lot of companies bring you in to use your skills and don't invest, but Mapjects really invested in me when I was between projects, they truly believed in learning. They have some amazing relationships with universities, and companies.

I did get to travel internationally once, I wasn't sure about it, worked out well though, (I lost 25 lbs, and learned a new language) and it was a true eye opening experience.

It all summed up to a very fun experience, great place to work.

Cons

Very little hands on management, i.e. the philosophy was you're adults and motivated through work. While this is a great thing, I felt some of my other colleagues/consultants didn't invest the same time I did. So, I would have liked some more "hands-on" management. Needless to say, their tenure was short lived!

Invest in marketing.
Polish your products - they are amazing, let the world know!!
Invest in management layer.
The owners don't believe in VC, but angel funds would seriously help you grow much faster.
Good luck in your future, I hope to work with you soon.

reviews filtered by

Creative and fun, my branding creativity was challenged - because products are unique

Current Employee - Creative Consultant
    Current Employee - Creative Consultant

I have been working at Mapjects part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They were well organized with starter templates, graphics etc
    Plenty of media content
    Distinct product lines, and clear brand identity
    Heavily cloud oriented - made it easy for me to work remotely after 2 week
    The learning documentation provides a good materials to start/learn

Flexible - I mean really flexible. After I proved myself the first few weeks, they let me work from my hometown!
    I just wish they had more work for me.

I have been able to do some cool stuff.

Now (after a few months) it was quite straight forward. The main work was based on an ad agency, from a previous summer experience working as a designer for a campaigns, so my mgr was quite impressed with that.

Cons

I had to sort out some of the older content on my own, while it was what they were paying me for, I have a system on how I work, I guess every creative person is different.

Because they're not the norm, with their product lines, I did spend a lot of creative time , this was perhaps the most challenging part when I first joined. In the beginning, I was a little frustrated, I Just could not come up with a packaging concept, and was finding it hard to describe. I would go to may website to look at competing information, but these product SKU's are so unique, that I had to understand it.

Once I got their process - got with the program, it was smooth sailing. The previous guy told me this, and I'm glad he did, gave me some breathing room!

A great place for my career, exposure to the latest skillsets, and very practical.

Current Contractor - QAM
    Current Contractor - QAM

I have been working at Mapjects as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

1) More employee attention, smaller firm, specialized and focused in engineering.

2) The office is custom-built and some fun exclusive employee use only gaming events, like a starutp has, foosball, ping pong, etc.

3) On down time, they were very constructive, and especially when we first started, we did more team events on longer fully paid weekend event. Which was completly out of the ordinary, and fun. They were attempting/trying to brew a family and freinds atmosphere-which I appreciate. The mini-van was not big enough, so we had to drive our cars, they forgot to comp me on the fuel. But Mapjects paid for the rest of the trip, tickets and loding.

4) The office is dog, pet-friendly.

5) For the size of the organization, they sustain relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing as they institute new process. Interesting to see how the new management will maintain that balance. They're opened an office in VA.

6) With their focus areas, and products, growing it will be interesting to watch their managements roadmap.

7) You work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry.

Cons

The change in the office location has some of us wondering whats happening to our careers.

Also, Mapjects sustains relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication. Its going to be interesting to see how they bring this to their services side.

There are newer employer reviews for Mapjects