There are newer employer reviews for Mapjects

The best experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I got to work on what I liked, and came out polished and confident with a sense of pride, so I loved every day of the work. Initially I was in Mapjects products (Energy Management Systems, Fraud detection, Data visualizations, GIS, BI) and moved to consulting side. So, they trained me ground up on their core products and invested in me without rushing me - For e.g. firms like Accenture put you on the meter, i.e. you have to bill the client to make a paycheck all the time, but here we were more resources they invested and educated, I truly appreciated that effort. Now to aspect of my work, I came from a sales background, so it took me sometime to come up to speed, and I had all the support I needed, so I loved it, they also have some of the most weird/curious equipments in their prototype/labs. I was able to make a difference, succeed and deliver. I am a "groupie", there was a lot of collaboration, sharing and brainstorming, and these sessions were the core of our engineering sessions, we first mapped out what we understand and went after the goals for the products or the client's objectives. In summary, I liked how they gave me the freedom and still kept me focused - it was a lot of fun! My horizons grew, because I learned a lot about emerging technologies and trends, like smartgrid, 13514, energy management, financial risk OFAC, PHR, Health Care, Environmental sustainability. This is probably the most important for me, since lot of companies bring you in to use your skills and don't invest, but Mapjects really invested in me when I was between projects, they truly believed in learning. They have some amazing relationships with universities, and companies. I did get to travel internationally once, I wasn't sure about it, worked out well though, (I lost 25 lbs, and learned a new language) and it was a true eye opening experience. It all summed up to a very fun experience, great place to work.

Cons

Very little hands on management, i.e. the philosophy was you're adults and motivated through work. While this is a great thing, I felt some of my other colleagues/consultants didn't invest the same time I did. So, I would have liked some more "hands-on" management. Needless to say, their tenure was short lived!

Advice to Management

Invest in marketing. Polish your products - they are amazing, let the world know!! Invest in management layer. The owners don't believe in VC, but angel funds would seriously help you grow much faster. Good luck in your future, I hope to work with you soon.

Other Employee Reviews for Mapjects

1. Fulfilling work, stable and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst

I have been working at Mapjects full-time

Pros

I liked their outlook on work, very easy going and no fuss. I came here after, I quit my previous work due to a constraint I was facing in my personal life. While, I was unable to get everything I wanted, they were one of two companies that accommodated my needs. They had me submit some paperwork, and once that was done they called me back in 3 weeks - which I was not expecting. At this stage in my life, through work here I learned to carefully list and ask perceptive questions, and quickly comprehend new or highly complex solutions. There is a huge amount of satisfaction, when I can have a deep deep discussion on challenges with my customers, before I never got this level of ownership or involvement. To each his own - I know some people don't like to get into group discussions quite a lot. I was one of those, but I have learned work matters more and I feel more effective on my regular days. I have curteous work envrionment, with unfailing respect and trust from the clients because of how the organization communicates. They're uncompromising fair and objective.

Cons

In their efforts to be transparent, and explicit, they use checklists a lot. At first, I found sometimes the information could be presented better, later I realized it was only process. I suggested that they explain some of this ahead of time

Advice to Management

These are just observations. Perhaps the company needs to be more ambitious, they seem very content with the work they're doing. Demos: At the demo conferences, please use a script or leading materials for people at the booth. Often the marketing material is hard to explain since its at the product level. Customers are also challenging, they want spoon fed information, I suggest you invite them back to the office for follow-ups.

A genuine upgrade to my career

Current Contractor - Data Management
    Current Contractor - Data Management

I have been working at Mapjects as a contractor

Pros

There is a personal feel and deep commitment to their employees. A little background: I had a shaky start with their end customer, where a previous incumbent vendor/consultant did not deliver work. I was brought in as an expert after being vetted in technically challenging interviews (and yes I know my stuff, I design large data management solutions for e.g. banks, insurance companies). My issues started when I started discovering a lack of basic sound DW/BW architecture. The customer was not technical and was misled by the previous incumbent (with a few fronted screens and clean documentation) that the work was done. While infact this was far from the truth, the data model and cube architectures were not set-up, insecure, missing meta ref, cyclic refs, massive indexes without archives, list goes on etc... telling the customer PM was very difficult, they seemed suspicious of this information and unfamiliar with the backend. In a nutshell I was unable to make the needed changes and deliver progress and stuck. If not for Mapjects leads this would have been a disaster, the Mapjects team is highly technical team and had confidence in my work. So, to gain the confidence of the client, they helped arrange staging servers with my design and walking the customer through a few demos and slowly resolved the stumbling blocks. This difference in approach won me over, I felt secure and confident to do my best work. Now I take great pride in my work, this was only possible because a smaller organization like Mapjects understood the importance for their customer and me and took the time to make it work right.

Cons

Not much really, for any get together's please don't try to get everyone together, please just go ahead with the group you have. That social interaction is important.

Advice to Management

For any get together's please don't try to get everyone together, please just go ahead with the group you have. That social interaction is important. You may want to consider a more aggressive approach with marketing.