There are newer employer reviews for Maple Leaf Foods

So disappointed with this Company

Current Employee - IS Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - IS Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, many people trying to do the right thing, great future vision, great products;

Cons

Old boys club; too many people who have been there forever and are resistant to change; excessive politics; subjective performance appraisal based on popularity not results; poorchange management; disorganized execution; top heavy management

Walk your values; minimize politics, manage based on results not relationships

121 Other Employee Reviews for Maple Leaf Foods (View Most Recent)

The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time

Pros

Repeat...The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

Cons

Cons

We are not a manufacturing company, we’re a sales and marketing company?

We’re one of Canada’s top 10 work cultures? Do you really think any employee, especially a large ethnic base will tell the truth to a consulting company when they are terrified for their jobs. Don't tell me how the company is being run. We already know.

Quality of supervision is sub par. You have to know people. You have to be a master psychologist. You can't be a coach unless the player has been taught. Give me something that wants me to be a great employee.

When the company started losing money there was more focus on the operations and management side when it was too late.

You can be sure that if Corporate has their hands in it at the plant level it’s like the Feds.

MLF has a bad reputation in the marketplace for intimidation and bullying tactics from Senior and Production Supervisors.

Never use a company's EAP. Don’t you think there is a conflict of interest? I highly doubt that matters are kept confidential and am sure files are read.

Six sigma. This is a money waster. Paying people huge salaries to try and save the company money with an out of date concept. Guess what… we’re still losing money. Terminate them all, save the company money, and put a suggestion box in every plant. If a money saving idea is implemented, pay the employee 20% of the first years savings and you will be further ahead.

HR Manager and Production Supervisors are hired to keep the employee morale high?

They can’t keep people and they can’t make money.

It has huge debts. Selling off divisions and closing plants to pay down a huge debt load.

$21.7M Q4 loss that’s over $60M for 2013! The last three months of the year are historically the biggest revenue generating months and we still lost over $21M! Operating losses will continue for 2014. Sometimes you have point the finger for blame and usually it’s not at the bottom. I know we have a Board of Directors but whose in charge?

IT- Five minute fixes take 6 months to get resolved and then they want you to spend 12 hours preparing a business case to justify it. They do this hoping you will just go away

A Performance Management System which is subjective.

MLF is proud of their commitment to support salaried employees in creating and executing a personalized development plan every year. It is MLF’s most important commitment they make to us and our personal growth. What commitment?

The company asks “What’s my aspiration?” as an employee. Mine is to retire as soon as I can.

The only one that can enhance my career is me? If you are passionate about your career and serious about putting in the effort, be prepared to work 10-12 hour days. Now if you come in 1 hour early everyday on a $50k salary you are not getting paid $6250. Still want to come in early or stay late???

February was “Random Acts of Kindness” month. You could win prizes if you committed to completing five random acts of kindness. We only need to be kind to our fellow employees one month of the year?

SAP-Need we say more? Mounds of paperwork. Can you see the bottom of your desk? The SAP Center at San Jose is an American indoor arena, located in San Jose, California. Its primary tenant is the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League. I can tell you that if the hockey arena in my city was called that i wouldn't be going to any hockey games.

I just came from the bank to get an RRSP loan. They told me they have other clients at Maple Leaf Foods. Then they asked me why there was such a high turn over rate at my facility.

Most office jobs are sedentary and if you sit more than 6 hours per day then you have a 15% greater chance than everyone else to be part of the disability pool.

You figure it out. What's wrong with this picture?

Overall good place to work for if you want to be in a food industry.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big Company, well -know, good pay and alot of locations across Canada.

Cons

Long and odd hours, no value for employees

There are newer employer reviews for Maple Leaf Foods