Marathon Oil

www.marathonoil.com
  www.marathonoil.com
There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Oil

Not good for technically strong employees, Managers lack minimum technical depth and understanding

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is great. Flex days can be taken on any day of the week. Family friendly company. It is a great company if you lack technical depth and but can build relationships. You can spend your entire without adding any real value to company.

Cons

Good technical work is never recognized. There is a bias in promotions. Managers lack technical depth and often promote people based on individual liking. There is no incentive to do good quality technical work. Most of Reservoir Engineers at senior level are technically challenged and can only do budget work. You will hardly ever find Reservoir Engineers presenting in technical conferences. Very little diversity - in terms international employees with higher degrees. Culture is not good for international employees with other nationalities. If you are dumb but a slick talker, this company is made for you.

Management should convey to employees that good quality technical work is still king. They should reward hard working and technically strong people, who add value. This will not happen unless they get rid of poor performing middle level managers.

91 Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Oil (View Most Recent)

It was a nightmare to intern here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the gym there. It was the best part of my day working at Marathon. They provide a lot of resources for employees including van pools, and a cafeteria inside of the office building.

Cons

The leadership seems so hands off. At my first and last day at my previous company I met and talked with the CEO. Here, I didn't even know who my supervisor was. I was advised not to get to know leadership because they wouldn't have time to get to know me. There is a shortage of employees so the amount of work that needs to get done isn't. Most upsettingly, least than 10% of employees are new student grads so it's hard to meet people you'd like to hang out with at work. HR can do a better job at structuring the internship project by including educational and coaching plans .

Hire more recent college grad's. Implement a coaching development plan. Take time to get to know new hires. Get their feedback on how the company is doing!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Houston Marathon office allows you to make a modified version of a 9/80. If you work 9 hour days (instead of 8 hours), you can take 2 flex days a month (and they don't have to be Fridays)! Fridays are also casual so jeans are allowed. They also offer great benefits, annual bonuses, and I have received grants of restricted stock. I love working for Marathon!

Cons

Stock price went down (as expected) after the spin off of the downstream business in 2011 but still currently doing well.

There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Oil