There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Oil

A company behind the times

Former Employee - IT Specialist  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Marathon has decent pay and good benefits. If you can manipulate people then you will be able to get raises without doing much actual work. This is a great company for people who are poor performers.

Cons

Every decision is made by company politics and corporate bureaucracy. There are few opportunities for promotion outside of the field. Rather than acting as a single organization with a common goal, each department takes an "our way or the highway" approach that prevents work from being done. The "good-old-boy" network and flagrant nepotism make many workers untouchable. The managers are greedy, self-serving, and refuse to take responsibility for their inept leadership.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Oil (View Most Recent)

Not good for technically strong employees, Managers lack minimum technical depth and understanding

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life Balance is great. Flex days can be taken on any day of the week. Family friendly company. It is a great company if you lack technical depth and but can build relationships. You can spend your entire without adding any real value to company.

Cons

Good technical work is never recognized. There is a bias in promotions. Managers lack technical depth and often promote people based on individual liking. There is no incentive to do good quality technical work. Most of Reservoir Engineers at senior level are technically challenged and can only do budget work. You will hardly ever find Reservoir Engineers presenting in technical conferences. Very little diversity - in terms international employees with higher degrees. Culture is not good for international employees with other nationalities. If you are dumb but a slick talker, this company is made for you.

Management should convey to employees that good quality technical work is still king. They should reward hard working and technically strong people, who add value. This will not happen unless they get rid of poor performing middle level managers.

It was a nightmare to intern here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I loved the gym there. It was the best part of my day working at Marathon. They provide a lot of resources for employees including van pools, and a cafeteria inside of the office building.

Cons

The leadership seems so hands off. At my first and last day at my previous company I met and talked with the CEO. Here, I didn't even know who my supervisor was. I was advised not to get to know leadership because they wouldn't have time to get to know me. There is a shortage of employees so the amount of work that needs to get done isn't. Most upsettingly, least than 10% of employees are new student grads so it's hard to meet people you'd like to hang out with at work. HR can do a better job at structuring the internship project by including educational and coaching plans .

Hire more recent college grad's. Implement a coaching development plan. Take time to get to know new hires. Get their feedback on how the company is doing!

There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Oil

Worked for Marathon Oil? Contribute to the Community!