Marathon Oil

www.marathonoil.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Oil

Challenging internship with real business impact

Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX
Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is incredibly friendly and welcoming! The intern program is well-structured with training, social events, and leadership opportunities. They make sure the supervisors of interns have real projects for them to work on, not just busy work. I have projects with groups across my department, so I’m getting a lot of experience in a short amount of time.

Cons

If you don't like change or you can't deal with uncertainty it's a tough time to work here. In the past year they've gotten almost an entirely new executive board, so big changes are happeneing all the time.

With all the changes make sure you stay true to Marathon's culture and values. Improve the company, but don't change it into something unrecognizable.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Oil (View Most Recent)

Great culture, lack of diverse projects

Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people and open environment make it a joy to come to work. Flexible 9/80 is great for work/life balance and competitive benefits. Several internal organizations/communities make exchanging technical work across assets easy and fun.

Cons

Lack of diverse projects. Marathon seems to be focusing on onshore US and is reducing it's international and conventional assets. Lack of exploration success internationally doesn't leave many assets to work on outside of shale plays. Best assets and exploration are reserved for people with 20+ experience while anyone with less than 10 years is sent to the "shale factory"

Work on diversifying your portfolio and create opportunities for employees to gain conventional skills needed in the industry, otherwise they will leave to get those experiences elsewhere.

Excellent Benefits and 90/80 work schedule but no real Succession Planning or opportunities for advancement

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You walk in the door with no less than 3 weeks vacation and the opportunity to have every other Friday off. The company has great values and is pretty stable. Compensation and Benefits are very competitive.

Cons

If you are not the type of person who enjoys staying in the same role for the next 20 or 30 years this is not the place for you. This organization is very flat! There is no visable development plans for non petro technical roles.

Succession Planning is key. It's very important to understand where I can go within "this" organization in my career.

There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Oil