Marathon Petroleum

www.marathonpetroleum.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Petroleum

Great work culture, legitimate responsibilities and projects, and questions encouraged.

Former Employee - Chemical Engineering Coop
Former Employee - Chemical Engineering Coop

Pros

Cons

-Little formal training makes starting out at the coop somewhat difficult.
-Communications can be difficult, as employees casually use dialogue and terms that coop is regularly unfamiliar with.

104 Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Marathon likes to build consensus before they react.

I worked at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

Marathon is a very good operator of refineries. They will spend money on projects that do not make money in order to have safe and environmental friendly operations.
    If you are not a creative person, then Marathon is the place to work. Marathon promotes people who can quickly learn a position, make minimal mistakes, push out the work as quickly as possible and complete their work in less than 8 hours. Marathon managers are trained to keep the status quo and follow the plans from their upper management.

Cons

Marathon is not a nimble company when reacting to market changes. They study and build consensus before they react. For profit oriented capital projects, you should expect at least two years between conception and installation.

Get rid of UPOD (Under Promise and Over Deliver). Everyone is putting fat into their numbers so they can meet their targets.

Great place to gain some experience, and then move on

I worked at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

- Benefits and pay are very good when compared to other industries. About par for oil industry.
    - I found the work very interesting, always something different happening.
    - Company takes safety and regulations very seriously.
    - Great work/life balance. Midwest company with solid values.
    - Operates some of the nation's premier refineries (Garyville, Robinson)
    - Midwest focus should allow the company high profitability well into the future.
    - Bottom line is that I feel MPC would be a great company for chemical engineers, less so for other disciplines.

Cons

- No longer an integrated oil company.
    - Training for new hires is poor when compared to other oil companies.
    - Work locations
    - Little advancement opportunity for non-ChemEs. I feel that this will get even worse with the recent split of the company.
    - Hiring of new engineers is terribly managed. The best interns that I worked with or attended university with ALL went to work for different oil companies such as BP, Chevron, Shell. Terribly short-sighted to completely lose out on a group of young, talented engineers. Caliber of the schools where MPC recruits has steadily declined over the last several years.

- Firm believer that once you have talent in the door you don't lose track. I don't understand why recruitment was halted at some of the better schools where MPC had a presence. MPC would be a great place to work, but since they are not hiring the best people I am worried about the company's future.

There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Petroleum