There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Petroleum

It is not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

You are part of a team, and you get to meet a lot of really great people. I do have to say that the best thing about working at Marathon Petroleum is that they are flexible and reasonable when you have children who are sick or need you there.

Cons

My employer has to many employees and not enough hours to give to all of them. Some weeks I only get 8 - 14 hours. Some other things are that some of my co-workers get treated differently than others, and some things tend to get over looked. I just don't think that it is verry fare.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is just keep an eye on what really goes on in your stores, and how your employees are being treated.

Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Petroleum

1. testing oil and distillates

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great at safety

Cons

shift work can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

NA

Great people, great experience, lots of pros and a few cons

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

I am challenged almost everyday and have a good relationship with my direct supervisors and managers. Training is encouraged and people are willing to help. The company has a vast network of knowledgeable people that are a phone call away. Overtime is sometimes required but not often. I would recommend Marathon for any young engineer to gain great experience. The work is fast-paced and challenging. If you can not multitask and manage time, this is not the job for you.

Cons

The company does not have a good plan for advancement of their young professionals. It is up to the individual to find positions that keep them challenged. They do a poor job of keeping and attracting quality people. They underutilized their coop program. Highly talented coops have gained wonderful experience at Marathon and go work for a competitor because the company reacts too slow. Marathon is a Midwest company that has operations in the south where salaries are higher. The company loses quality people every year because they refuse to stay competitive with salary in the south.

Advice to Management

Work on the career development plan for professionals. Consider a salary survey and try to stay more competitive with the current market in the southern region. Keep the talented people in the company.