Marathon Petroleum

www.marathonpetroleum.com
  www.marathonpetroleum.com
There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Petroleum

Moving

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Marathon provides lot of promotional opportunites. There are many different posititions you could be working in and different locations. There are great benefits and everyone for the company is very genuine. They compensate you for pretty much everything you do.

Cons

Even though they give lots of promotions, they require a lot of moving around which may be tough for employees that are trying to start a family. They usually move people every 2-3 years to a different field office. Also there HQ is in Findlay, OH and there honestly isn't much to do there.

87 Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Better luck elsewhere

Former Employee - Tech Services Co-op
    Former Employee - Tech Services Co-op

I worked at Marathon Petroleum as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Relocation benefits
    -Great safety and environmental record
    -Actual hands-on engineering/applied engineering
    -You know the product you're making and working towards is global and relateable

Cons

-My recruiter changed 6 times within 2 years. It was almost impossible to know who contact when questions or situations arose
    -Worries me about the future of the company considering the market and recent split from exploration and production/upstream side
    -Very little interaction with co-workers. You go in, do the work, interact when the job demands it, but otherwise, everyone puts their heads down and doesn't care about their peers.
    -Biased/favor-ridden hiring process. Despite experience, good reviews and better-than-average GPA, I was looked over in the hiring process in favor of a current employee's child who has no experience and average grades.
    -Was never kept busy as an intern. I asked my department almost daily for work but few had the time or willingness to relinquish work.

Work on recruiting and retaining your co-ops and interns and get away from the nepotism that runs rampant in the company. In addition, focus on your current employees (get to actually know them, encourage morale) and how they can become better assests to the company.

It is not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

You are part of a team, and you get to meet a lot of really great people. I do have to say that the best thing about working at Marathon Petroleum is that they are flexible and reasonable when you have children who are sick or need you there.

Cons

My employer has to many employees and not enough hours to give to all of them. Some weeks I only get 8 - 14 hours. Some other things are that some of my co-workers get treated differently than others, and some things tend to get over looked. I just don't think that it is verry fare.

My advice to management is just keep an eye on what really goes on in your stores, and how your employees are being treated.

There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Petroleum