Marathon Petroleum
www.marathonpetroleum.com Findlay, OH 5000+ Employees

Great place to gain some experience, and then move on

(Former Employee)

Pros- Benefits and pay are very good when compared to other industries. About par for oil industry.
- I found the work very interesting, always something different happening.
- Company takes safety and regulations very seriously.
- Great work/life balance. Midwest company with solid values.
- Operates some of the nation's premier refineries (Garyville, Robinson)
- Midwest focus should allow the company high profitability well into the future.
- Bottom line is that I feel MPC would be a great company for chemical engineers, less so for other disciplines.

Cons- No longer an integrated oil company.
- Training for new hires is poor when compared to other oil companies.
- Work locations
- Little advancement opportunity for non-ChemEs. I feel that this will get even worse with the recent split of the company.
- Hiring of new engineers is terribly managed. The best interns that I worked with or attended university with ALL went to work for different oil companies such as BP, Chevron, Shell. Terribly short-sighted to completely lose out on a group of young, talented engineers. Caliber of the schools where MPC recruits has steadily declined over the last several years.

Advice to Senior Management- Firm believer that once you have talent in the door you don't lose track. I don't understand why recruitment was halted at some of the better schools where MPC had a presence. MPC would be a great place to work, but since they are not hiring the best people I am worried about the company's future.

Not a bad place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marathon Petroleum

Pros: Great benefits for the employees Cons: Could use a little help in career paths Advice to Senior Management: More specific career paths and milestones Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

good Pay , bad business sense

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros: The pay scale is good. Cons: Marathon has the management style of the olden days. Employees are harassed, belittled, not appreciated, brow beat, taken for granted, and abused daily. … Advice to Senior Management: A happy employee is a productive employee. Work at… More
There are newer reviews on Marathon Petroleum.

Worked for Marathon Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marathon Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marathon Petroleum CEO Gary R. Heminger. All reviews posted anonymously by Marathon Petroleum employees.