March of Dimes
www.modimes.org White Plains, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Charity is not all its cracked up to be

Community Director (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

ProsMarch of Dimes is a grea tplace to work because you really are making a difference in the lives of familes. By working in the communities you haev an opportunity to meet families that have been affected by the MOD. Also, becuase there is a large focus on public health many employees come away knowing a lot more about maternal and infant healthcare.
Moreover, working at the March of Dimes forced me to speak in front of groups more often and that in turn imrpoved my public speaking skills. Finally, the company did have decent felixibility for salaried employees.

ConsConstantly fundraising and dealing with new "plans" from management.
Management was constantly changing tactics or plans to raise money.
Expectations were often unrealistic, especially in dealing with sales.
Important changes about the companey were often hidden from employees.Salaries are quite low for the amount of work expected. In order to be successful you almost have to wokr several weekends and non of that time is compensated.

There is little focus on employment development and although the company says they prefer to hire internally -- hiring is based on personal preferences of managers.

While I was there two very, qualified hard working internal employees were passed over for an external employee. The hiring manager was indeed threatened by the two internal employees and had the final say!
Promotion was based on personal preferences and not ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate all employees no matter where they are on the food chain.
Involve the employees that work in the field every day of how MOD is changing.
Do not surprise employees with constant new initiatives and "concepts" that often do not take the region that the emplyees resides in, into account.

it is a platform for the budding youths.

News Reporter (Current Employee)
    Doha (Qatar)

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time for more than a year

Pros: reciprocal relationship between staffs and bosses. Cons: work pressure to some extent , but professionally it is… Advice to Senior Management: the management should be in favor of company`s welfare . Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Highs and lows at March of Dimes

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    Florida (Uruguay)

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time for more than a year

Pros: March of Dimes is blessed with wonderful volunteers inspired by a compelling mission, and has a 75 year history of success in improving… Cons: Organization seems reluctant to promote from within, especially to more senior management positions. Additionally, in order to move up from a division (or… Advice to Senior Management: MOD has very high pressure, demanding jobs at the entry level, which are poorly compensated and don't allow for good work-life balance. This leads… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on March of Dimes.

Worked for March of Dimes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at March of Dimes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for March of Dimes CEO Jennifer L. Howse. All reviews posted anonymously by March of Dimes employees.