There are newer employer reviews for March of Dimes

Charity is not all its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Community Director  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Community Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at March of Dimes

Pros

March of Dimes is a grea tplace to work because you really are making a difference in the lives of familes. By working in the communities you haev an opportunity to meet families that have been affected by the MOD. Also, becuase there is a large focus on public health many employees come away knowing a lot more about maternal and infant healthcare.
Moreover, working at the March of Dimes forced me to speak in front of groups more often and that in turn imrpoved my public speaking skills. Finally, the company did have decent felixibility for salaried employees.

Cons

Constantly fundraising and dealing with new "plans" from management.
Management was constantly changing tactics or plans to raise money.
Expectations were often unrealistic, especially in dealing with sales.
Important changes about the companey were often hidden from employees.Salaries are quite low for the amount of work expected. In order to be successful you almost have to wokr several weekends and non of that time is compensated.

There is little focus on employment development and although the company says they prefer to hire internally -- hiring is based on personal preferences of managers.

While I was there two very, qualified hard working internal employees were passed over for an external employee. The hiring manager was indeed threatened by the two internal employees and had the final say!
Promotion was based on personal preferences and not ability.

Appreciate all employees no matter where they are on the food chain.
Involve the employees that work in the field every day of how MOD is changing.
Do not surprise employees with constant new initiatives and "concepts" that often do not take the region that the emplyees resides in, into account.

72 Other Employee Reviews for March of Dimes (View Most Recent)

it is a platform for the budding youths.

Current Employee - News Reporter  in  Doha (Qatar)
    Current Employee - News Reporter in Doha (Qatar)

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time for more than a year

Pros

reciprocal relationship between staffs and bosses.

Cons

work pressure to some extent , but professionally it is good.

the management should be in favor of company`s welfare .

Highs and lows at March of Dimes

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Florida (Uruguay)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Florida (Uruguay)

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time for more than a year

Pros

March of Dimes is blessed with wonderful volunteers inspired by a compelling mission, and has a 75 year history of success in improving child and maternal health. I have had tremendous support and leadership from a knowledgable manager and have gained some very valuable experience.

Cons

Organization seems reluctant to promote from within, especially to more senior management positions. Additionally, in order to move up from a division (or local) management position, you have to accept a substantial amount of travel. I'm happy in my current position but worry when I'm ready for a new challenge, there won't be an opportunity to grow with the organization.

MOD has very high pressure, demanding jobs at the entry level, which are poorly compensated and don't allow for good work-life balance. This leads to rapid and repeated turnover in these positions. Organizational processes don't support quick selection and on-boarding, so positions can be open for months at a time and the missing role has to be covered by managers and other team members. This creates a breakdown in progress toward team goals, since everyone is overloaded, jeopardizes relationships with constituents and is damaging to morale.

There are newer employer reviews for March of Dimes

Worked for March of Dimes? Contribute to the Community!