March of Dimes

www.modimes.org

Negative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood Pay, pleasant co-workers, wonderful stated mission.

ConsA Pittsburgh supervisor did not know who Jonas Salk was or the role the University of Pittsburgh played in the development of the March of Dimes polio vaccine. None of my supervisors could tell me what specific research the March of Dimes was funding in Pittsburgh -- it took me several months to find out myself. They should realize that many donors are not interested in supporting organizations that do not know their history or current funding. Most of the PA supervisors had backgrounds in sales and knew next to nothing about maternal and child health.

I was hired for a temporary position. When I was about 7 weeks away from ending my assignment with the March of Dimes I was hired by another PA nonprofit to work on improving public policy in order to provide better perinatal health care to incarcerated women in PA. Improving perinatal health care and preventing adverse birth outcomes is supposed to be the mission of the March of Dimes. The new job was supportive of my finishing my time at the March of Dimes. Yet when I asked to flex my time to take an occasional phone call or attend one meeting during my last 7 weeks I was fired by the PA state director for not "putting my full attention on the March of Dimes."

Then the PA March of Dimes insisted that I had voluntarily quit and not been fired when sending communications to the national office. In short, they lied about what they did.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt one time the March of Dimes was a great organization which did much for the public good. Now the atmosphere is only about raising money. Only one employee of dozens throughout the state does any kind of educational or public policy work. Many potential donors realize this. The March of Dimes needs to pay attention to its mission again, be collaborative with other organizations who truly work to improve perinatal health, and educate its staff better. In short, it needs to quit making fund raising an end to itself.

Rewarding

March of Dimes Family Team Specialist (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

I have been working at March of Dimes

Pros: It is a valued organization Cons: It is very demanding work force Advice to Senior Management: It is very team motivatied Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

This has been one of the hardest and most emotionally rewarding jobs

Community Director (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at March of Dimes

Pros: - Amazing work dynamic with peers. - Good leadership -… Cons: Only real con is they have some out dated technology… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on March of Dimes.

Worked for March of Dimes? Contribute to the Community!