There are newer employer reviews for March of Dimes

Terrible!

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has a good history with their participation in the fight against polio.

Cons

Too many to count. High overhead, lack of concern about employees, low pay, bad management, tacky fundraising practices, etc., etc.

By Management, I mean the National Board: Overhaul the entire management team. Bad HR, bad managers with outright illegal and immoral practices. And no, I wasn't fired. I was executive level and left because I didn't want to be part of this problem organization anymore. I feel they say one thing and do another and do not really care about the mission. I'm giving this company one star but only because I can't give lower. I have an entire career of working in nonprofit organizations and this is, by many magnitudes, the worst.

75 Other Employee Reviews for March of Dimes (View Most Recent)

Worst experience I've ever had

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the Mission but it is lost in the make money at all cost mentality

Cons

This was the worst experience I have ever had. They provide absolutely no training, no procedures and no documentation exists, which is shocking considering this is a national organization that is 75 years old. You are expected to pay for many company expenses and then you will be reimbursed but it can take up to 6 weeks. Given the pay is so low how can they expect people to live like that? This is not disclosed until after you take the job. You will be required to rack up hundreds of miles a month on your personal car but are not reimbursed for insurance or wear and tear. You are expected to work lots of overtime none of which is compensated or comped.
    WORKING HERE YOU WILL LOSE MONEY! The management is non-existent and untrained, they broke numerous employment laws but since HR is in NY they don't even know they are doing it. Directors have no experience working with or managing staff and it shows, constant nasty negative emails made me feel sick to open my email everyday. You will be expected to solicit everyone you know for donations and hounded about everyone you know and will they give. They will also steal all of the best sponsors and donors for themselves even if it means you will not meet your goals. Please believe all of the reviews on here, I didn't and regret having been associated with this organization at all.

Train directors in how to work with staff and employment laws. Think about how much time/money people spend using their own cars, covering expenses and actually reimburse them for it.

Good organization, but too far removed from mission to be fulfilling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Worked with great people but inconsistent standards of performance. Little supervision or coaching of problematic co-worker led to resentments from fellow employees held to a higher standard.

Cons

March of Dimes puts as much pressure on employees as it does on donors to contribute. There is an ongoing pressure to get donations from employees and their friends to the point of being uncomfortable (for me).

Know when to say "when." It's bad enough that you are known to barrage one-time donors time and time and time again (more than other NFP), but with employees, there is an added pressure implied. Tone it down!

There are newer employer reviews for March of Dimes