Marchex

www.marchex.com

A fun place to work, great for software engineers

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Work/Life balance. This is heavily emphasized at Marchex, and they mean it. Marchex has been referred to as a home for Amazon and Microsoft refugees, and it really is. Smart engineers and managers who are sick of being paged in the middle of the night seem to end up at Marchex.

- Good engineering practices. ...if you're on the right team. Most teams adhere strictly to Agile (some with XP) and do Test Driven Development. If you're not good at working closely with others for the majority of your time, Marchex can be trying.

- Company culture. Marchex likes to party. There are social events at least monthly, many Fridays work stops around 3:30 and people hang out for happy hour in the lunch room, which has amazing views of the sound.

- Free snacks etc. It's a nice perk, but not a reason to join a company. Unless you're trying to make up your compensation by drinking twenty cans of diet coke a day.

- People. Marchex focuses pretty heavily on "culture fit" in their interview process. They need to be convinced that you're smart and can do the job well, but how you'll get along with your teammates is crucial. I made very good friends at Marchex.

Cons- Lower salary/total compensation than the big companies in Seattle (Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook).

- Lack of direction. This is changing, but Marchex grew a lot by acquisition, and the business seemed to lack focus. The proposed (and aborted) spin-off of Archeo felt like an attempt to make Marchex appear more focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to stop losing developers to Zulily, pay them what they're worth.

Pay Per Call, it's not Mobile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: People in Seattle are very helpful and seem nice. Cons: Technology hasn't improved or really changed in years. PPC is dead. If they lost Allstate and a few others the company… Advice to Senior Management: Look around! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fun culture & smart people

I have been working at Marchex

Pros: There is a laid back atmosphere, lots of autonomy in most job positions, free snacks, killer view of… Cons: The biggest gripe is the pay, trying to get a raise is tough and they create… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Marchex.

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!