Marchex

www.marchex.com

Talented People Without a Clear Vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFree drinks & snacks, occasional freebie "swag," great location/views, work-life balance is valued, overtime usually possible, flex schedule, casual dress.

The people are all pretty nice, smart, and young. Few people are dragging down the team and causing you to do extra work in my experience. This is a nice environment to be a part of, however the free "stuff" doesn't really make up for the cons of the job unfortunately. It's more like a stepping stone to get to the next thing.

ConsLowest industry wages of any comparable work: You can easily make more as a server or hostess in a restaurant with tips than you can working here.
Unfulfilled promises with regards to training opportunities: they will tell you about all these great opportunities to learn and sign up for training and then when you ask to do so they tell you it's only available to certain individuals.
They will also tell you in your interview that there is great possibility for career growth. After talking to people in the company, it seems that it takes most people 1.5-2 years minimum to move up into the next level at which point they are making wages that one could still be making in the restaurant industry, waiting tables. These positions are also extremely limited so the chances of getting one of them are very unlikely.
Temp employees are treated as second-class citizens. They are offered zero benefits compared to regular employees. They don't get healthcare benefits, bus passes, or paid days off. You get to become a regular employee at an unknown point in time - usually over a year after you start.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out some of the other Campaign Manager salaries at companies nearby - some of them (located locally) pay $50,000 more per year on average. I don't know what your goal is with paying so low. To train people up so they can leave? Free soda is great, but at the end of the day people need a living wage, healthcare benefits to take care of themselves and their families, and a job that they can be proud of and respect, not free soda at lunch (which they could afford to buy themselves if they were being paid a living wage).

Great people, low pay

Campaign Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros: This company does a really good job of teaching and training you to be an expert when it… Cons: This company does not pay well. It does not provide health benefits unless you work really… Advice to Senior Management: Appreciate all of your employees, not just the executives No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great collaborative environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I love the work/life balance at Marchex. Work hard,… Cons: Like anywhere, info doesn't always trickle down. Advice to Senior Management: Clear and transparent communication. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Marchex.

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!