Don't work in reservations

Current Employee - Reservation Agent in Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Reservation Agent in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel discounts like hotels and stuff

Cons

Schedule constantly changes, you can not plan your life. Pay is very low for a call center. Clear favoritism to agents who had kids with scheduling and who was allowed to be re-shopped compared to those who were suspended. We are expected to know multiple cities, hotels and detailed information with the worst computer technology compared to other call centers. My computer freezes all the time when I am talking to a guest. They let the good agents leave like our old leads and supervisors. Some agents don't even answer calls they just put a guest on mute and then hang up. Others have told our managers, but nothing happens...This place is going downhill . The company also only gives annual raises, not based on performance!

Advice to Management

Manage things, I am sure they are great outside of work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Controller, finance director

I have been working at Marcus Hotels full-time

Pros

Stability, growth, small size, strong teamwork

Cons

Organizational capabilities, growth beyond its abilities

Advice to Management

None

2. Great Coworkers, Respected Company, Zero Professional Development or Investment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marcus has managed to employ many great, dedicated and hardworking people from the stewards to management, many, if not all of the hotel level employees take great pride in the job they do and are fun, energetic, enjoyable people to surround yourself with on a daily basis. Marcus is an operations company, and if you're interested in developing in Hotel Operations, you can find yourself on a path pretty easily here, particularly if you're open to relocation. In Milwaukee in particular, the Marcus name is respected and a city institution.

Cons

Marcus is an operations company, and that's great if you're interested in hotel operations. If you're not, there is no real opportunity for growth of development. Restaurant management, HR, Marketing, Sales - you can find a position in these areas, but will likely see no true interest in developing a career path from your superiors. Furthermore, if you're interested in your own professional growth, you're on your own. The unspoken mantra here is "if you don't like it, you can leave it." And there's not much desire to retain talent - despite the obvious benefits of retaining young talent and developing it. Work/life balance for anyone at the management level is difficult as well. Every department is understaffed and over-demanded. It's expected in the hospitality industry that work/life balance won't be perfect, but a great company would make the effort to make work more welcoming.

Advice to Management

Stop letting great people leave, particularly the younger generation, as these are the people who will lead your company in 10-20 years. Be willing to think outside of the box and embrace the concept of "spending money to make money."