There are newer employer reviews for Marcus & Millichap

my experience at Marcus and Millichap has been mixed

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

One can make a lot of money. The name carries some wait among those who don't know any better.

Cons

Lack of morals. Encouraged to rip people off.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Marcus & Millichap (View Most Recent)

Great building block, resume item

Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

This was my first internship during my junior year of college. It is a great resume item and gave me great experience in a professional office environment.

Cons

There is not much oversight as to what an intern's actual duties are, therefore you end up getting thrown a lot of random tasks from agents as well as analysts. Also, property research can get pretty boring.

stay away

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

There is a possibility to make a ton of money if you are good and can deal with making no money for a long time.
    You are "your own boss" so you can make your own hours---as long as you make money.
    Friendly, young, atmosphere (but be aware, it is competitive)

Cons

They will promise you that you will make half a million easily, but in fact you will be cold calling to no end. The management sets ridiculously high standards for calling quotas, which most people meet by calling hotels or restaurants, rather than real clients. Everyone in the office is an "independent contractor", and they all call and compete for the same clients. This gives the firm a bad reputation among owners, and no one will want to talk to you.
    There is no salary or benefits, and they invest little into you, other than cold calling "training".
    The commission splits for the newer agents are tiny, since 75% of your first several commissions are taken out and given to your "mentor" and the company.
    If you are not making money they will fire you; there is very little job security.
    There is nothing intellectual about the work.

There are newer employer reviews for Marcus & Millichap