Western & Roscoe

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, meet great people (both employees and customers), great for students.

Cons

Can get tiresome from standing so long, scarce discounts for employees, can't leave premises on break, sometimes have you doing tasks that are not in your job description (i.e. pushing carts or helping Vero out even if you're a Cashier.)

Other Employee Reviews for Marianos Fresh Market

Dead End

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palatine, IL

Pros

My coworkers, Flexible scheduling, and did I mention my coworkers.

Cons

I have been working at Mariano’s for a while now, and I have come to the conclusion that this is a dead end job. Management is intolerable, patronizing, and inconstant in what they want from their employees. I must be honest, my fellow coworkers and I have zero to no respect for management. Roundy’s is only focused on two things and two things only… to build more Mariano’s and to make sure 90% of all their employees stay under 30 hours a week. Getting promoted at Mariano’s is extremely difficult, despite what they tell you when you are first hired. The union is a nothing more than a joke. UFCW is only worried about collecting union dues and not rocking the boat with management. UFCW is no longer the strong union it once was. In fact, it’s a dying union struggling to maintain its membership. The turnover rate is high and my store’s morale has been low for a long time. Many of my coworkers see that there is no future with Mariano’s and are only there because of the economy. My coworkers are honest, loyal, and some of the hardest working people I have ever seen, and to see them so defeated and discouraged breaks my heart. Shame on you Mariano’s!

Advice to Management

Stop being jerks! Be constant and stop changing everything around. Become more organized and STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF. Everyday is like the end of the world with you people, all you do is panic and put more pressure on your workers.

They really do not care about there employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not much good that I can say about the work environment at Marianos. The only thing redeemable about working there were my fellow employees. They were all great people and I'm glad I got the chance to meet them. However, everyone was always so unhappy because working at Marianos is the worst.

Cons

- Not flexible with schedule. - Minimum wage employees are burdened with more responsibility than they should be. - No employee benefits. - Nothing constructive from upper management. They will only say negative things to you and tell you what you are doing wrong. - The uniforms are terrible. - They pay you nothing to begin with, and by the time taxes and union dues are taken out of your check, you practically owe money to them.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. Everything seems to be working alright for them because there will always be high school students who need a part time job that they can pay peanuts for.