There are newer employer reviews for Maricopa County (Arizona)

Exceptional

Former Employee - Child Care Nutritionist in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Child Care Nutritionist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona)

Pros

Flex time, paid holidays and vacations, family friendly environment, supportive bosses, education opportunities

Cons

Job insecurity due to the budget crisis

Continue to offer educational opportunities for employees.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Maricopa County (Arizona) (View Most Recent)

I obtained valuable experience but no feedback from management as to what it wanted from me.

Former Employee - Environmental Specialist Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Environmental Specialist Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona)

Pros

An employee can gain good experience in the environmental field and there are a lot of dedicated people in the rank-and-file that care about doing their jobs well.

Cons

There is little professional training available, no raises, little or inconsistent management guidance and support and virtually no career advancement.

Allow the employees to do the job they were hired to do rather than asking them to serve on innumerable re-organization committees that are aimed at providing "customer support" in the form of lax regulatory enforcement.

The Cream of the Crop work for MAG

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County (Arizona)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with work for MAG. Most management-level people and quite a few others have advanced degrees. Expectations of the type of work you need to do are pretty straightforward and communicated well. There is also room for innovation. Pay is generous. More than a few people have been promoted in their careers at MAG. One interesting thing to note is what I call the boomerang effect: people leave MAG and then come back, saying their level of fulfillment was simply higher at MAG. One thing about MAG is that there is a general feeling amongst employees that we are making a difference in the development of the Phoenix area. Managers are flexible and understanding about medical, dental, and family related issues. Alternative modes of travel to work are encouraged: bus and light rail passes are made available to MAG staff. This is an excellent place to work.

Cons

Cons are mostly nit-picky issues. Some of the benefits are not as generous as at previous employers I've been with, but medical and dental are still pretty good. MAG is a council of governments and therefore some decisions within the organization are for political reasons (i.e. not upsetting one jurisdiction or appearing to favor or compare one with another); this can take some time to discover those land mines, but once found they can be easily avoided. Telecommuting is limited to twice a month. Money for training is generally limited; the philosophy is that we're all very smart people and can figure it out for ourselves. Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. The building MAG resides in is a pretty good facility but we have to pay a nominal fee to the City of Phoenix for the garage.

Keep it up. This is an outstanding organization. Encourage more telecommuting in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Maricopa County (Arizona)