There are newer employer reviews for Maricopa County, Arizona

I have learned a lot about public health.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County, Arizona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers are all mostly very nice, caring, hard working individuals. Family-type environment. The benefits are great. Tuition reimbursement is nice. They are in the process of accreditation. Many employees have been there for a long time. Great director of Public Health. Great job experience and fulfilling serving the community needs.

Cons

The pay was low for many years. More recently there was a pay raise which brought me back up to what I made a few yrs ago, but who knows when the next one will be. Sometimes upper management can be set in their ways and not involved in taking care of problem behaviors unless you are the type of employee that calls directly to upper management each time there is a minor problem, and you have known them for years.

Be more involved in growing for the better when there is a need to grow. Do to be too set in your ways. Build more policy and procedure and spend time on orienting your employees using evidence-based practice. Audit your long time employees occasionally to make sure they are providing updated quality care. Make sure you can support your employees financially for retention.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Maricopa County, Arizona (View Most Recent)

Good place to start out, but...

Former Employee - Materials Lab Tech  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Materials Lab Tech in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County, Arizona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

(Benefits) if you need them.
    (Pension) which is not as good as it used to be.
    (Stability) Once past probation, very hard to be fired unless you really screw up.

Cons

Impossible to advance, because most of the supervisors in all the departments are hiring their buddies or their subordinates friends. This is the case County wide based on some of the other reviews, which is no surprise. Higher ranking managers have been fired before for all types of abuses like harassment, taking bribes, and not handling projects in accordance with federal regulations, and then its all doublespeak from the departments, they say stuff like oh so and so is retiring, but in reality he just got canned. No leadership here, our supervisor in our department has fake credentials and barely knows how to run our department, complaints taken to his supervisor (Engineer) are met with comments like, he needs more time to learn, learning time has passed along time ago. LOW PAY AND A COUPLE VERY SMALL RAISES IN 7 years. Raises are somewhere in the 2% range, hah, that doesnt even keep up with inflation, the benefit premium increases year after year, pension increases year after year. I'm making less money than when I first started after adjusting for inflation and increases in premiums!@!! New punch timecard system is ridiculous.

No advice whatsoever, you guys hold surveys all the time with the staff and the same topics come up year after year, with no corrections, what are the surveys for exactly?

No Room for Growth, No Appreciation for level of Expertise, Education or Experience

Former Employee - Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County, Arizona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked for the Public Health Department as a manager. Co-workers are dedicated public health employees, great benefits including tuition stipend.

Cons

Seems to be no opportunity for growth, had not been raises for a long time, but recently the Board of Supervisors did approve raises. Still, with raises, hourly wage below norm. The tuition stipend went dry, we were informed by administration that it had been suspended. Promotions are internal, and based on favoritism not real expertise.

Upper administration should sit down with employees and get their input.

There are newer employer reviews for Maricopa County, Arizona

Worked for Maricopa County, Arizona? Contribute to the Community!