There are newer employer reviews for Maritz

Work hard, have fun, and get the job done.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Maritz

Pros

Great culture. Maritz truly cares about their customers and their employees. With some new innovative products and services being launched this year, Maritz is positioning itself for long-term success. Because it is a privately held company not constrained by some of the short term results required by publicly traded companies.

Cons

Because of the depth and breadth of services provided to customers, it can take awhile for new employees to get up to speed on everything we do. Navigating internally at Maritz is sometimes difficult because it is a highly martixed organization. Maritz is also not immune to the softening of the economy and some clients are reducing budgets on programs.

Tighter clarity and focus to better align all of our resources.

63 Other Employee Reviews for Maritz (View Most Recent)

Maritz Motivation retains GREAT people.

Current Employee - Art Director in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Art Director in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz

Pros

Maritz employs the best people in the industry. These same people I work with are also my friends. I like getting up in the morning because I have a great place to work. I trust my manager! I know that she cares about me both in my career and personal well-being. I love the work environment. The surroundings are well-maintained. My computer is up-graded on on a regular basis. If I have to leave to take care of sick child or go to a docor's appointment, I can without getting any grief from the management. I have the flexibility to leave campus in these situations.

Cons

We sell recognition, but there is little money to recognize our own. We work on Motivation programs every day. We see how other companies recognize and motivate their employees. It's a complete downer to see the award points, merchandise and travel that is given out with each program. I can't tell you the last time I was given award points for a job well-down.
    Maritz doesn't hire enough people to do the job. We have long-time, tenured people, who are committed to getting the job done. If that means staying late or working over the weekend - we do just that. Therefore we are enablers.

Practice what you preach. Start motivating the workers! Give out award points for work well-done. Action speaks louder than words and so do award points.
    We need more indians and less chiefs.

Old and slow but nice

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Maritz

Pros

If you are looking for work/life balance, this is a place that will allow you to have family commitments without making you bail out on most of them at the last minute. You don't have to lie to attend your son's last soccer game of the season. And you can attend every birthday party your daughter will ever have. The people here are good, solid midwestern people with good, solid ethics and values. Clients are top-notch, all drawn from the Fortune 1000. Average tenure of employees is way above 8 years with some pretty nice benefits coming to people who stay past 10 years.

Cons

Average tenure of employees is way above 8 years with some pretty nice benefits coming to people who stay past 10 years. The company is averse to change and afraid of risk. You will compete with highly tenured employees for new openings at higher levels and you will likely lose, whether your skills and experience justify it or not. The rewards and recognition practices at the company can be likened to high school popularity contests. Regular performance reviews, skillset evaluations, and promotions/salary increases based on merit are rare. If you are well-connected inside the company you can expect to do well. If you're a naturally political animal, you'll figure out the system and move up.

Hire a CEO who loves the business and the industry, not just the company. Hire a great Chief Operating Officer and get out of his/her way. Let him/her come in, clean house, make hard decisions and move on. Stop making decisions by committee or by default, using the same old boys that have been making the same old decisions by committee for the past 10 years. Listen to the market - it could tell you a thing or two. Learn the industry - it has changed in the last 10 years. Watch your competitors - they know some things you don't. Learn from best practices and follow them. Stop re-inventing the wheel. You're wasting time.

There are newer employer reviews for Maritz