Best Job Ever

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is one of the most relaxed, open work environments ever. I am never afraid to ask a question, and since I started everyone has been extremely helpful. Working from home occasionally is an option, which is fantastic. I actually enjoy going to work every day!

Cons

The training is non-existent. It's one of those "throw you in the pool to teach you how to swim" kind of places. The only training you really get is training on the company policies, not on your actual job duties. Many of the employees are new and so everyone is still learning.

Advice to Management

Set up a real training program.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I&E Technicion

Former Employee - I&E Technician in Houston, PA
    Former Employee - I&E Technician in Houston, PA

I worked at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great family based company to work for. They give you opportunities to motivate their emploies to learn and do great at there jobs. I for see this company doing many other great things.

Cons

I would like if they had better retirement plans, also medical and dental plans available to take better care of the employees.

Advice to Management

Take a look at what you have and try putting yourself into the shoes of your employees to see how we care about the direction of this great company.

2. Couldn't Be Happier

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time

Pros

The people here are fantastic and the atmosphere is even better. You enjoy many freedoms that should come with being a professional that most companies take away. (flexible work schedule and working from home on bad weather days are the 2 biggest plus many more) It's an enviornment filled with accomplished people that all strive to meet the lofty expectations set for us. Those expectations are set high and rightfully so in my opinion. Those expectations coupled with the work enviornment personally makes me want to work harder. This is not a place you come to because you want to make "easy money" or "coast". You will work hard here but you will be taken care of. The hard work/extra work is recoginized by management often. The appreciation is shown through: thank you cards, quarterly "good job" awards ceremony, random activities (scavenger hunts, giveaways, trivia for prizes), happy hours, outings, etc. These occur often and not just once a year or once in a while. These gestures of appreciation are genuine and not just because they "have too". The compensation and benefits are excellent. The base compensation is above market value but the bonus structures and insurance plan put it over the top. Not to mention the allowance for transporation, health club membership and countless employee discounts. Overall, I couldn't be happier with Mark West. I've spent time at a few other corporations here in the Denver area and Mark West is by far the best all around.

Cons

The company has grown rapidly the past few years and the policies and procedures haven't developed as quickly. They are making a diligent effort to keep on top of best practices and on boarding for new hires but it's not perfect. Most people start as a contractor, myself included. However, it was communicated that if I came here and proved myself to be capable of handling the work load than I would be granted every opportunity to be hired on as a full time employee. That "promise" was kept. I transitioned into a fulll time position before reaching 90 days with the company. Again, this is not a place where you come to coast. Expectations are high and need to be met for you to have success at Mark West.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that has made Mark West the 2nd largest gas processor in the United States but don't lose sight of the details.