Markel

www.markelcorp.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Markel

Place where you can lay down roots

Current Employee - Software Developer
Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Markel

Pros

- Family Atmosphere
- People are honest and try to do right for the company
- Financially Conservative company (Mergers/Acquisitions occur frequently) and you know it won't be in the news for a bad trade or catastrophe
- Flexible work conditions
- Pay is fair and bonuses have been consistent
- Rewards employees for loyalty to the company through stock option/vacation programs

Cons

- Career Advancement opportunities are limited, especially outside of home office for both business and supporting staff
- Technology is old and not going to change anytime soon
- Little organic growth on business side
- Health Insurance is not that great

This is a very good company and a great place to work. The company has a lot of hard working and dedicated IT people that want the company to succeed and we need to allow for them to make a difference otherwise we will lose them.
- Technical people have little input into IT decisions at both tactical and strategic level. That needs to change.
- Little opportunity for staff to grow technical skillsets do to type of projects and technology. Essentially skills learned in training are gone shortly after since they are not applied to work.
- Culture does not allow for innovation to take hold and entrepreneurial spirit making it difficult to recruit and retain top/good IT talent
- We do not have strong technologists leading groups and it impacts deliverables in both quality and speed to market. This needs to change in order to deliver what the company needs for success.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Markel (View Most Recent)

It was a good experience.

I worked at Markel

Pros

I liked the people and the assignment.

Cons

I was a contractor. What i thought might be a longer opportunity turned out not to be.

I had a great time working at Markel

I worked at Markel

Pros

I had a great time working at Markel. The team and culture was great. Working in Information Management under Rob was great. I really believe he's taking his group far.The learning experience and the structure of work was great. I really recommend Markel as an employer.

Cons

Since the group, I worked under was relatively new, there are obvious growing pains with new hires that should wrinkle out over time. There are very few negatives that I have about working at Markel.

There are newer employer reviews for Markel