Market of Choice

There are newer employer reviews for Market of Choice

Market of Choice Job Review in Eugene, OR

Current Employee - Clerk in Eugene, OR
Current Employee - Clerk in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, 401k, Social opportunities

Cons

Too many managers.... They all micro manage too much ...

Try trusting your employees to do their jopbs... they might surprise you

17 Other Employee Reviews for Market of Choice (View Most Recent)

Could Be Worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Full-time: Insurance, 401k plans (automatically deducted from your paycheks). Hard to find jobs that typically give you 40 hrs/wk consistently (and sometimes throw in extra hrs during holidays if shorthanded). Holiday pay/overtime, paid vacation after 1 yr (more after 3rd and 7th yrs).

Employees - Most co-workers are pretty easy to get along with and end up turning into true friends in no time. They genuinely care for the most part and are very helpful with personal situations or work issues.

Customers - Customers are usually friendly, and many are regulars who we see almost every day. Most are understanding when there's an issue, and company policy is explained to them as to our reason for why we responded to their issue they way we did.

Cons

Scheduling - Senior employees get to pretty much decide their shifts and the lowers get the scraps. Almost impossible to get any time off for anything short of medical issues or family emergencies. Requesting more/less hrs seems to be futile. Also, a typical day has most of the employees and managers in the store during our slowest hrs early in the day but when the dinner rush hits most of the help is gone and usually only 1 store manager is left for the rest of the night, often times with the most inexperienced employees who end up getting overwhelmed easily.

Management - Upper management is definitely about playing favorites, so if you're not a standout or one of the buddy-buddies it makes things that much more difficult. Also seem to be out of touch with most of the daily workers and only really talk to department managers.

Occurrences - The "occurrence" system is designed to keep track of employee tardies/absences in a way that discourages them from having either of those happen. However, occurrences are given for basically any absence, short of a medical issue covered under FMLA. HR/management are extremely unforgiving when an outside issue causes an absence. Employees aren't usually notified of occurrences unless they happen to have a lot for a particular absence - such as getting 2 for calling in late less than 2 hrs ahead of your shift (out of a possible 7 before mandatory termination) and explaining the reason just gets noted but does nothing in terms of lowering/removing occurrence totals.

Being new: Being stuck on the bottom in terms of seniority for a position is pretty awful, and lasts until someone else is brought in - which could be a week or a month or a year depending on the position. Closing shifts mean you end up with the same closing manager 5 nights a week and can be terrible if you aren't one of their favorites right away. Much harder to ask for time off or to switch days off or even just get 2 days off in a row.

Work with your lower employees more - a lot of the newer people get overwhelmed very easy and the strain put on them to perform better really doesn't help. Also, understanding that people have lives outside of the store would help, too. We employees have stuff going on, and its not always our fault if we are late or miss a day. Punishing us for things we can't control just isn't fair. Treating us like people and not just pieces that keep the store going would also be nice. This company could do so much better if upper management gave employees a chance to show what they could do and helped them grow while they worked at the store, instead of hindering that development.

Looks great from the outside...

Current Employee - Barista in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Barista in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice

Pros

-Full Time
    -Health Insurance
    -Awesome coworkers (I wouldn't have lasted this long without them)
    -Nice physical environment (I won't lie, the store is beautiful)
    -On Sundays they give us all the out of date stale bread

Cons

-Management is hypercritical and focuses on the bad while very rarely seeing any of the good
    -No tips
    -Unfair raises
    -My coworkers with "alternative" lifestyles feel they are treated differently
    -Lack of compassion when employees are injured or sick
    -Sexist upper management (very boys club)
    -Several of my coworkers have been reduced to tears on multiple occasions

I'm leaving for a part-time at Starbucks, forty hours a week and insurance just isn't enough. I was treated better at the Dairy Queen I worked at in high school.

There are newer employer reviews for Market of Choice