Marketwired
www.marketwired.com Toronto, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

An old company pushing boundaries

Sales (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsMarketwired is not an easy company to work for. You can't just float here and expect a positive experience. Yes, some floaters have managed to keep employment here but they are quickly dying out.

By nature, Marketwired is a company in flux. It has to be. Its traditional business model is, at the moment, trending downwards and as a result - having seen this coming years ago - the company has invested heavily in new product verticals.

And, if this wasn't enough, it is trying to convert an old business model to a more modern version. Heaven forbid they try to modernize right?

Has this caused issues? Absolutely.

But does it take away from the quality of the company? Absolutely not.

Marketwired is pushing innovation as quickly as it can given its existing technology, staff and management. It really is a fantastic place to work if you enjoy a challenge. But that is the key word here.

Expect your managers to challenge and hold you accountable, expect the company to challenge and test you to keep up and expect your clients to challenge you.

You can sit there, b!7(@ and complain that the company doesn't hold your hand and had actual expectations of you but if you like a challenge, if you like the idea of working somewhere that actively pushes you, if you want to work somewhere that believes 100% that it can make a difference - this might be the place for you.

Just don't complain after that you've been asked to actually produce and be accountable.

Cons- pay is good for some and not great for others
- career path can be difficult to map out if you're not drinking the kool-aid and working right out of head office
- a lot of whiny wallflowers: they complain a lot and then magically forget to put in the work hours

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through, keep reaching for the stars, drive us forward, push us until we feel we can't be pushed some more and then push us even further, don't forget that our clients got us here so don't be afraid to give them something back, little markets turn to big markets if you give them love and care for the people that care about this company. Caring doesn't have to be a bad word even in the corp world.

Things aren't always how they appear from the outside

Senior Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marketwired full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Friendly co-workers; relaxed work environment; somewhat flexible scheduling; opportunity to engage… Cons: Few opportunities for advancement outside of Toronto or the US; distinct lack of communication within the company; failure of management to recognize the company… Advice to Senior Management: Need to recognize that without the Operations side of the company, there is no company to speak of. Making hollow promises and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Change for the better ...

Engineering (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Marketwired full-time for less than a year

Pros: Excellent market opportunity -- a unique marketing / technology position to solve challenging social media problem. Company offers great autonomy… Cons: Company went under a change from a traditional news dissemination firm to a technology-centric innovating machine -- old /… Advice to Senior Management: Continue support your troops! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Marketwired.

Worked for Marketwired? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marketwired reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marketwired CEO James H. Delaney. All reviews posted anonymously by Marketwired employees.