Markit

Don't Walk... RUN!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit

Pros

Big Name Clients - JPMorgan, Schwab, Scottrade, Bloomberg, etc.

Cutting Edge Tech - iPhone, Android, and iPad Development

Boulder - Great place to live. Perfect for families.

Cons

Where to begin? Firstly all of the other reviews you've read speaking of a culture of fear, favoritism , and cliques are total understatements. I have held jobs at other companies and though they had their issues they didn't come close to the dysfunction displayed there on a daily basis. The people who work there are absolutely miserable, and why shouldn't they be?

1) The Pay - is on the lowest end of the spectrum. Probably the biggest single contributor to the constant attrition within these walls.

2) Your Boss - The few long timers are extremely condescending, elitist, and gossipy. Odds are one of them will wind up as your manager. Prepare for hypocrisy, conflicting directions in using their completely broken development process, and favoritism.

3) Perks - Extremely substandard benefits and flexibility. The claim they are a Green company is a total joke. Its called telecommuting geniuses. Some of my colleagues lived as far away as Castle Rock and Estes Park and you waste tremendous resources having them unnecessarily come in every single day. I live in Boulder so coming in wasn't a big deal... except sometimes one of my kids was sick and that meant nothing to them. I still had to be there.

4) Workload - It's insanity. They over promise to their clients and you'll work 60 hours a week easy. People end up not taking their vacations due to veiled threats which adds yet more hostility and depression to this oppressive environment.

In summation? Keep looking. I'll never get back those two years I brought home anxiety and frustration to my family even when I wasn't an absentee husband and father.

Raise the pay, be kinder to your employees, improve your training and replace managers that seem to need replacements constantly. The amount you'll save in retention and up time will more than make up for the extra cost.

323 Other Employee Reviews for Markit (View Most Recent)

Decent place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Markit

Pros

Learning experience
    Decent compensation
    Laid back environment
    Beautiful office in midtwn ny

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunities
    Need to be part of "in group" to advance
    Small desk space

Improve the promotion criteria to better match the individual contribution to the company

Okay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Markit

Pros

Good vacation time
    Good medical and dental benefits
    Good bonus

Cons

No growth
    Management not appreciative
    Very political
    You have to be in the "cool" group to get promoted

Need more Management training. Senior management is great and should teach somethings to middle managers.
    Middle managers have no idea how to criticize or appreciate employees and respect them. They fire wrong people and keep people that suck up to management. Losing good talent

There are newer employer reviews for Markit