Not as great as you would think for a Regional Medical Center

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Marquette General Hospital

Pros

-best variety of units -well-respected hospital in community -benefitted positions at 24 hrs/wk or more

Cons

-8 hour shifts -poor shift differentials -low pay scale -no pay increases for experience -poor training into staff nurse positions

Advice to Management

-orientation to units need a better approach with less variety of preceptors -withholding new positions based upon too much overtime on the unit makes no sense

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Change in ownership meant change across the board

Former Employee - Library Media Specialist in Ishpeming, MI
    Former Employee - Library Media Specialist in Ishpeming, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere. The work I performed felt purposeful. Hours were extremely accommodating, along with the fact that I had most holidays off.

Cons

The only downside was the decision not to renew the position I had been working in. I was told that instead of being the AV Assistant (in which I was supposed to assist the "Media Specialist," who had left and therefore all the responsibility of that position fell into my lap) I would become the new Media Specialist, complete with a raise. This never happened. It finally was decided, and shown to me in writing, that they were not keeping the Media Specialist position, which obviously was frustrating, in that I was still doing the work of said position. To say that the position didn't exist despite the fact that I was doing all the work for it was enough for me to leave.

Advice to Management

None, it's a hospital being run by a very efficient team. After I left I heard they eliminated my department (the education department) so it's clear they know what direction they want to go it.

2. Used to be friendly, caring, community hospital, but now owned by large comparny who doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Marquette, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Marquette, MI

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Closeknit staff, small town feel, up-to-date technology, vibrant community.

Cons

Management understaffs departments to make more money. This is creating bad morale and poor service to patients. Employees are being trained in too many areas and quality of work has declined. Employees are no longer happy to work here.

Advice to Management

Use your brain! To provide good service and make this a hospital people actually want to come to, you need to treat your employees with respect and staff each department so we aren't stressed out after each shift. Department management needs to know their staff better and place employees in positions they excel in. When you spread your employees over too many jobs it may offer more flexibility, but not better quality of service. And stop treating employees unfairly! New openings need to be posted and given to most senior and most qualified techs.