Marriner Marketing Communications

www.marriner.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Marriner Marketing Communications

Decent, but could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications

Pros

Fun atmosphere (most of the time), decent opportunity to further your skills, usually allowed to complete a project without being micro-managed

Cons

Location is only good if you live in Columbia because nearby roads are overcrowded. The company is somewhat stuck in their old ways, there's minimal or no opportunity for advancement (depending on your position), pay is somewhat low, and raises and promotions are usually meaningless-you will have a new title but do the same job (or more) for only an extra $2000/yr.

Advice to Management

Instead of hassling employees if they are 15-20 mins late once in a while because of traffic, focus more on the quality of their work. Providing more competitive salaries will greatly reduce turnover and you will spend less on hiring/training new employees

Marriner Marketing Communications Response

Jan 20, 2015Controller

Thank you for your post regarding Marriner. In 2013 we moved our offices to a more convenient location in Columbia, right off of I-95. Along with the location change we added more collaborative ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of big brand names. A good portion of the work is challenging and rewarding. The owner, Tighe, is fantastic. He is one of the few owners of a company I've experienced where you can sit down and talk to him both professionally and personally. He appreciates honesty and he has genuine concern for the welfare of employees. I've heard that the work/life balance in the past has been an issue; it seems a lot of changes have been made. Good benefits and vacation package, no problem to work from home when the need arises. Also, the office is understanding of a need to leave early or come in late for a family event. There is a vision from senior management about where the company needs to go to grow and continue to prosper.

Cons

The culture. It's unnaturally polite, with an unhealthy undertone of passive aggression. It makes the office rather sterile and cold. It is definitely a "business" climate; there isn't a lot of personality. People don't look like they're comfortable being themselves and definitely wear a work face. With my past work experience, I'm not used to people being this reserved. Senior management has been trying to change this, but it looks to be a struggle. It makes it hard for me to be myself. People have also complained about some pretty trivial things, like not being able to take soda from the conference room whenever they want (completely unaware that the fridge needs to be stocked for clients). It makes me wonder where some people's heads are at.

There has been shake-up in leadership on the creative side over the last few months, but that seems to have been sorted out. Now, the challenge is to figure out how to achieve the vision of the company. I see the next two years as being really important. There's a lot of work to do and I don't know if some of my coworkers are up for the ride or putting in what's needed in what could be a make or break time.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns and stop bending over backwards trying to make everyone happy. Don't worry about looking like the bad guy. Decisions have to be made in the best interest of the company, not to placate squeaky wheels. Business-wise, we may need to spend more money and take on more risk to grow in new areas. Marriner is financially run as a tight ship. This is, overall, obviously a good thing, and although I know that I don't have the weight of financial decisions on my shoulders, I think the time is coming where we have to let out the sails and take more chances.

On the right path

I have been working at Marriner Marketing Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I truly love working at Marriner. I'm in an industry I enjoy, continue to be challenged everyday, and work with the best group of people in my career. As the marketing world continues to evolve, so do the opportunities to learn and grow. Management has been an advocate for me in continuing my professional development and offered me the opportunity to stretch my wings. Work-life balance has been great with the flexibility to work from home as needed.

I feel a true sense of teamwork at Marriner where everyone is in it together. We have built a family that relies on one another, and let's everyone have a voice. I couldn't imagine working with a better group of people.

Cons

Having been at Marriner for the past few years, I'm seeing an evolution. We've fought a siloed environment, but are evolving to a more integrated, collaborative workstyle. Though, with any evolution there are growing pains along the way. Processes need to change, we need to be open to fresh thinking and new ways of doing things. The culture is changing and we are experiencing the good and bad that goes with it.

As the marketing world is ever-changing, I feel that a more formalized program of training and education would be beneficial to all. We are a well-resourced agency with great industry partners we could tap for continued learning. It just needs to happen on a more regular basis.

Advice to Management

We are on the right path but need to continue to invest in our people, be open to new ideas and work together to push our company forward.