Marriott

www.marriott.com
There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Make sure you find the right management team

Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Benefits, opportunity to travel and/or work around the world.

Cons

Corrupt corporate culture using cronyism as their management style

Use modern management philosophy

1512 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Once great company................to review on glassdoor

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at Marriott

Pros

I would say only the name because it is well know and looks great on a resume. My old job took me back in a minute and I received a lot of offers eventhough I did not work there as long as I would have liked to.

Cons

It used to be a family run company but it has sinced changed which is a shame. They really need to value their employees and honor a work, life, balance. I think mandating a 50 hr work week to management, yes will be great to the company but poor for your personal life. Honestly the pay needed to be compensated with the cost of living. It is very hard to work the hours required, have a life and be ok financially.

I would say and again I have been gone for two years but - keep an eye on your leadership in the Sales Department. I had unfortunalety witnessed some unethical practices from the sales specialist/director of sales at the time. I am sure that if it was brought up to upper managements attentions they would be astonished because they were not aware it was going on. I would say that they should keep an eye on who they are promoting. I know the woman in sales at that time kept getting promoting despite the hotel's moral continously dropping. I didn't believe that when I walked in to work for a prestigious company, the woman who was leading at the time should have continued to be promoted when the rest of the hotel and the staff was falling apart. It seemed as if it was a game of elimination rather than a promotion that was deserving. I heard there were 5 sales managers before me that had left under the same person's leadership. I still keep in connection with a few people and found out that her again sales team has since changed?????? Somebody really needs to take a look at that because when people leave...communication is lost and the company does not know what is really going on.

You won't regret the time you spend here

Current Employee - Vice President in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

The ethics of senior management are exceptionally high. In today's corporate culture it is refreshing to never feel like you have to compromise the values taught by mom and dad. The emphasis of the Marriott family on respecting the individual and treating them well so that they treat the guest well is still strong and encouraged by senior management even though the company is now publicly traded and large. The company is very good at allowing associates to find their life/work balance. If you are in hotel operations there is a significant chance to move from brand to brand, state to state, or even country to country.

Cons

Depending on your job description, there may be limited room for promotion (this is more true for the "formal" professions). In some departments/divisions, associate opinion surveys are seemingly ignored and the formal review process is not enforced. Because of the tendency to avoid conflict and reach consensus, bad managers linger with little place for the associate to go for resolution. The associate may feel as a complaint would be seen as being disloyal. Associates generally won't take complaints up the chain of command in concern that they will be the one found to be at fault and the action will be detrimental to one's career.

Get beyond your direct reports to see who the stars are and which associates may have potential. Find out what "line" associates are thinking and actually reward good managers and retrain bad ones.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott