There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Hospitality done well

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Front Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers a healthy compensation & benefit package in addition to a strong philosphy of "doing the right thing" which, I feel, is even more important than a strong pay scale.
Treating employees with trust, honesty, respect, & integrity sometimes seem to be virtues of a bygone era but the message stays strong within our company.
Promoting from within is highly encouraged and opportunities for growth and learning are ever present- at least as long as you seek them.
A strong community exists within our brand and we look out for each other as much as possible while still welcoming newcomers with freah eyes and perspectives

Cons

Doing more with less seems to be the mantra of the day. Many leadership positions have been eliminated while salaries stay flat. A hotel with 60 managers in 2008 is now running with 20-25 in 2012 but the salaries have not compensated for the increase of responsibilty. An ever-growing focus on profit and productivity have taken the graciousness and delight out of the service- many are struggling to stay afloat and motivated. So much of the talent pool has been depleted either by job elimination or burn out, I worry for the future of the brand.

1372 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Horrible experience at the Renaissance Hotel Houston

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting guest that have great jobs that can help you

Cons

Schedule
    Lack of Education and experience in Upper Management
    He say, she say environment
    Elementary and basic

Hire those that can hire themselves. If they dont have extensive experience and solid knowledge they might want to rethink the applicant. I know its a service industry and you tend to always hire from within BUT come on your a global brand, Marriot cheapens its brand by promoting individuals with no relative work experience and no education. Its like throwing the ball to the water boy at the tail end of the game and antipating a winning shot. Epic Fail.

Strictly Business

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work at the Fair field in by Marriott. The hotel is very nice. Its ran very tightly by all the managers. The hotel sells out at least once a week, so it is always busy. It has been a great starting experience in my career.

Cons

This hotel is strictly ran by all of the Marriott values and standards. So much that there is almost no room for error or deviation.

Losen up a little. Innovation would be great for the hotel

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott