Marriott

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Hospitality done well

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Front Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers a healthy compensation & benefit package in addition to a strong philosphy of "doing the right thing" which, I feel, is even more important than a strong pay scale.
Treating employees with trust, honesty, respect, & integrity sometimes seem to be virtues of a bygone era but the message stays strong within our company.
Promoting from within is highly encouraged and opportunities for growth and learning are ever present- at least as long as you seek them.
A strong community exists within our brand and we look out for each other as much as possible while still welcoming newcomers with freah eyes and perspectives

Cons

Doing more with less seems to be the mantra of the day. Many leadership positions have been eliminated while salaries stay flat. A hotel with 60 managers in 2008 is now running with 20-25 in 2012 but the salaries have not compensated for the increase of responsibilty. An ever-growing focus on profit and productivity have taken the graciousness and delight out of the service- many are struggling to stay afloat and motivated. So much of the talent pool has been depleted either by job elimination or burn out, I worry for the future of the brand.

1452 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Strictly Business

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work at the Fair field in by Marriott. The hotel is very nice. Its ran very tightly by all the managers. The hotel sells out at least once a week, so it is always busy. It has been a great starting experience in my career.

Cons

This hotel is strictly ran by all of the Marriott values and standards. So much that there is almost no room for error or deviation.

Losen up a little. Innovation would be great for the hotel

Good place to work in IT data center but might change soon

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting tech work and fairly flexible work-life balance and good vacation policies (but changing and not so good for new hires). Work from home for many techies. Employees are generally happy with the way it is run, good hotel discounts, and Marriott has been run like a family company with employees treated well.

Cons

Very big changes are underway as IT outsourcing projects have been started so be aware of this if you are looking for a long term job as it might turn into a one year job, if they even hire at all because they might close off outside hiring in light of the consolidation and outsourcing ahead. Given current events, for short term experience, it is good, but not long term which is a gamble. Med insurance is available but not especially cheap.

Be wary of outsourcing and what you get stuck with besides cheaper costs. You have been down this road before and dodged a bullet. Maybe not this time.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott