Marriott: Nice Benefits

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Banquet Server in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marriott

Pros

At Marriott we embrace a unique code of service we call “spirit to serve”. We believe it’s essential that each of us do our part to make a difference in the lives of others, whether it’s our fellow associates, customers, business partners or neighbors. Marriott offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that you’d expect from an industry leader and we provide the programs and resources that help our associates achieve a true sense of satisfaction – on and off the job. In keeping with our associate-centered culture, Marriott’s benefits package includes: 1. Medical, dental, life & disability insurance 2. 401(k) retirement savings plan 3. Continuing education/tuition reimbursement 4. Ongoing training and career development programs 5. Work/family programs and services 6. Discounts on hotel rooms, food & beverage

Cons

Dealing with annoying,upset, and stuck-up customers.

Advice to Management

Don't be stupid and book banquets on the same day and time because it is usually us who ends up getting yelled at.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Marriott engineering department review

Current Employee - Building Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Building Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Marriott is a truly great place to start out. They have large properties that look great on resumes. Especially for engineering department personnel, the large facilities show future employers that you can do it all. They have the latest building automation and they also have extensive climate control to make guests comfortable. The automated Mintek system for preventive maintenance is used to give you an idea when work is needed on equipment. If you want a large property that has you doing it all from HVAC/plumbing/electrical/masonry/doors/windows/locksmithing/painting/furniture repair then this is the place. You really have to know it all to survive here.

Cons

If you work for the engineering department though, you will be going somewhere else. It's great to get a large property on your resume to show to future employers but not to stay long term. They fail to recognize that engineering staff are not unique to hospitality and compensate you like other hotel-specific departments. Their own corporate philosophy says that when recruiting senior management, that they accept people from all backgrounds and thus must pay competitive with other corporations management pay scales. Why is this not extended to engineering? Engineers work in every type of building, they surely want you to have every certification and then they want to pay you like a front desk clerk? Best bet: Get your certifications and then run like hell!!

Advice to Management

The way engineering is compensated like front desk people may be the reason so many departments have chosen to unionize. Engineering represents the skilled trades, it takes a lifetime to master these skills. Compensate accordingly.

2. A nice place to work if you like what you do.

Former Employee - Golf Cart Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Golf Cart Attendant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marriott

Pros

It was a nice, relaxing environment with kind people. I had an easy job that I really liked: I worked on the resort's golf course servicing the golf carts. I didn't have to deal with customers too often, but when I did they were usually pleasant. My co-workers were nice, as well. I think that getting to work outside makes for a nice environment. It was never stressful, even on busy days or days with bad weather.

Cons

Not too much opportunity to provide feedback or suggestions. Management did not interact with lower-level employees to find out if their policies were successful or not.

Advice to Management

Open up to more input from lower-level employees.