There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Not bad, but not good

Former Employee - Night Auditor  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Night Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is easy once you get used to it
The room rate discount, when it's actually available
You can count on getting hours and a check if you're full time status (Reliable)

Cons

-NO opportunity for advancement. NONE. They do not hire from within. Every job has to be posted and 9 times out of 10 they bring in someone from another hotel that upper management is familiar with. Promoting from within the property DOES NOT HAPPEN.
-Benefits are a joke compared to most other companies; health insurance is $250 for just me at 25 with no existing conditions and no tobacco. I needed an MRI scan done and they didn't even cover that. It's nice to say that you offer benefits on paper, but I can go to BlueCross and BlueShield and get coverage for $50 a month just paying out of pocket. It's also better insurance.
-In the past few years they have cut staff ridiculously. At the select service properties in our area, we don't even have housekeeping supervisors/management. The AGM or Operations Manager controls that along with the desk. This leads to no morale within that department and stress on the desk due to improper room conditions. They staff the hotel as short as possible leaving busy weekends (even convention weekends) with nothing but 1 front desk agent in the hotel. Occupancy hasn't changed, and rates have gone up. If anything, occupancy is higher. The economy cannot be blamed.
-The way Marriott budgets per occupied room is RIDICULOUS. Reformat the budgeting structure.

Promote from within and you'll have some good, dedicated employees.

1301 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Good Company, but not great for new hires

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have good health benefits, flexible schedules and telecommuting.

Cons

They really axed the PTO for new hires this year. Hard for a company to promote a work life balance and getting awards from working mother magazine, but then to cut PTO in half. Not sure how working mothers can accomodate a busy schedule with such little PTO.

Instead of axing PTO so drastically, how about a less drastic reduction? Marriott should not focus on being on par with other cmpanies, but to be a notch above. At least they were known in the past to be better than other companies, but now they have just become average. I don't really feel that the new CEO is taking Bill Marriott's advise of treating employees well, to heart.

easy company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist In A Call Center (Heavy Call Volume)  in  Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist In A Call Center (Heavy Call Volume) in Solon, OH

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

nice hotel discount and health insurance is ok (if ft employed)

Cons

everyone not on the same page (mgmt withn), use to be very flexible now not as flexible

need to be on the same page

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!