Marriott
3.6 of 5 1,173 reviews
www.marriott.com Bethesda, MD 5000+ Employees

Not bad, but not good

Night Auditor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

ProsThe work is easy once you get used to it
The room rate discount, when it's actually available
You can count on getting hours and a check if you're full time status (Reliable)

Cons-NO opportunity for advancement. NONE. They do not hire from within. Every job has to be posted and 9 times out of 10 they bring in someone from another hotel that upper management is familiar with. Promoting from within the property DOES NOT HAPPEN.
-Benefits are a joke compared to most other companies; health insurance is $250 for just me at 25 with no existing conditions and no tobacco. I needed an MRI scan done and they didn't even cover that. It's nice to say that you offer benefits on paper, but I can go to BlueCross and BlueShield and get coverage for $50 a month just paying out of pocket. It's also better insurance.
-In the past few years they have cut staff ridiculously. At the select service properties in our area, we don't even have housekeeping supervisors/management. The AGM or Operations Manager controls that along with the desk. This leads to no morale within that department and stress on the desk due to improper room conditions. They staff the hotel as short as possible leaving busy weekends (even convention weekends) with nothing but 1 front desk agent in the hotel. Occupancy hasn't changed, and rates have gone up. If anything, occupancy is higher. The economy cannot be blamed.
-The way Marriott budgets per occupied room is RIDICULOUS. Reformat the budgeting structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and you'll have some good, dedicated employees.

Countless opportunities if you are willing to be flexible and patient

Guest Service Agent (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great culture, family feel at your property, discount is great and benefits are nice to have. Overall the company is great to… Cons: Some disconnects exist between upper management and the rest of us. Don't always feel like you make a… Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you're doing and inspiring employees but also try… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to work - as long as you are not in IT

Technical (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Overall, good place. Most management is pretty decent. Cons: New CIO is planning to outsource most of IT... so morale is in the toilet if you work in that… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Marriott.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.