There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

once a great company

Current Employee - Housekeeper  in  Hickory, NC
Current Employee - Housekeeper in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best company to work for if management is in order. The girls are lively and willing to work hard.

Cons

Too much talk not enough work
Supervisor need to do more work. Work holidays. Put in as much effort as your employees. Hire people that can do the work and not for your personal benefits

keep check on the little people they what makes the hotel

1292 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Not bad, but not good

Former Employee - Night Auditor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is easy once you get used to it
    The room rate discount, when it's actually available
    You can count on getting hours and a check if you're full time status (Reliable)

Cons

-NO opportunity for advancement. NONE. They do not hire from within. Every job has to be posted and 9 times out of 10 they bring in someone from another hotel that upper management is familiar with. Promoting from within the property DOES NOT HAPPEN.
    -Benefits are a joke compared to most other companies; health insurance is $250 for just me at 25 with no existing conditions and no tobacco. I needed an MRI scan done and they didn't even cover that. It's nice to say that you offer benefits on paper, but I can go to BlueCross and BlueShield and get coverage for $50 a month just paying out of pocket. It's also better insurance.
    -In the past few years they have cut staff ridiculously. At the select service properties in our area, we don't even have housekeeping supervisors/management. The AGM or Operations Manager controls that along with the desk. This leads to no morale within that department and stress on the desk due to improper room conditions. They staff the hotel as short as possible leaving busy weekends (even convention weekends) with nothing but 1 front desk agent in the hotel. Occupancy hasn't changed, and rates have gone up. If anything, occupancy is higher. The economy cannot be blamed.
    -The way Marriott budgets per occupied room is RIDICULOUS. Reformat the budgeting structure.

Promote from within and you'll have some good, dedicated employees.

Countless opportunities if you are willing to be flexible and patient

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, family feel at your property, discount is great and benefits are nice to have. Overall the company is great to work for and at the lower levels the schedule flexibility is great if you are going to school or have another job.

Cons

Some disconnects exist between upper management and the rest of us. Don't always feel like you make a real difference. Hotel pay isn't great for a long term career until you make it to upper management.

Keep doing what you're doing and inspiring employees but also try to connect with them more since they are your front line.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!