Marriott

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Terrible management

Former Employee - Bartender in Knoxville, TN
Former Employee - Bartender in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my co-workers and I really enjoyed my job as it was.

Cons

Over worked. My manager promised me to work my schedule around my college courses, then constantly asked me to skip classes to work. Management does not care about the staff, they just want good scores. Often times coworkers would know before the employee about a wrongdoing.

Learn to communicate with staff directly.

1454 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Great work environment, provided many opportunities

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Metairie, LA

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

advancement, diversity, comfortable work environment

Cons

hours, inconsistent business, constant change in customers

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Opportunities for additional training programs to enhance current position as well as to develop yourself for the next step. Annual performance evaluations. Nice people to work with. Comfortable working environment. Great reputation. Proud associates.

Cons

At headquarters, there are constant reorganizations and turmoil going on somewhere in the building which is unsettling and difficult not only for that dept., but for those around it and who have friends impacted by the upheaval. It is not good for morale. It seems a lot of long-term associates and older workers are targeted; it's the company's way of getting rid of good people with high salaries when there is no just cause. They just reorganize and make everyone re-apply for a "new" position. Also a lot of sr management don't really do anything and you wonder why they are still there when so many truly good people who work hard and make valuable contributions are cast aside. Long hours. Lots of stress. Many say the company, sadly, isn't what it used to be.

There are too many people managing others who shouldn't be because they don't have the skills, the temperament or the experience to do it well. A bad manager can make for a lot of disgruntled workers, impair productivity and damage morale. More should be done to make managers accountable for poor results on associate opinion surveys. Survey results are shared in departmental staff meetings so the obvious problems are confirmed, but nothing is done to improve or correct them. That makes morale even worse. Employees don't trust the confidentiality of the surveys so they inflate their responses, especially when their bonus is directly tied to results.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott