There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Positive all around experience, but limited career growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great travel benefits. The people I've encountered have been genuinely passionate about what they do everyday and it reflects both in their approach to work as well as their everyday lives outside of the hotel.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities unless you're willing to relocate every couple of years. Senior leadership tends to get comfortable once they land in a desirable location, so you have to constantly move where the next level of opportunities are (domestically or internationally). Relocating every couple of years is not a viable option for everyone.

Advice to Management

Allowing multiple department heads to remain in the same hotel, running the same department for 20+ years is not conducive to the type of innovation and creative thinking that is going to foster and create the next generation of leadership.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A Once Great Company In Decline

Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Can work anywhere in the world and virtually the same systems will in place - "brand standards." -Many people circulate within larger hotels, so you can have the good fortune of working with many of the same great associates. -When corporate culture that is portrayed as standard is in place, this is a fabulous company with high morals, and quality associates and managers. -All sorts of interesting people come through the door as associates and many good times are had. We are a family unit under the best of circumstances.

Cons

-Marriott has been for about 5 years now doing everything they can to cut expenses, no matter the consequences towards our core goals as a company. -Lack of consistency within management towards guests and associates. Guests are given the benefit of the doubt - even when they are abusive towards staff. Guests are rewarded with comps and upgrades for bad behaviour in many circumstances. -GSS (Guest Satisfaction Survey) is given too much credence as a tool. Careers/Reviews are made and broken based on a flawed mechanism of survey. In a busy conference hotel we may have 15,000 check-ins per month, perhaps 100-200 or so guests will return surveys, and based on that feedback we get our scores of Overall Satisfaction, etc. Too much emphasis is pushed through this mechanism via corporate, however the reality is the owners (not Marriott) don't care as long as the hotel makes money. -Punitive actions are not consistent. Rules are enforced one month and not the next, etc. There will be concerted pushes by managers to push certain associates out for minor infractions, that other associates will just be talked to about given the same circumstances.

Advice to Management

A return to Core Principles. Making Happy Associates make for Happy guests. As Mr. Marriott has transitioned out of the company these last years so has that old adage, and it is a shame.

2. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the Fine Dining and Bar area at the Marriott. My manager was one of the sweetest people to work under. HR were very helpful. Hotel benefits were awesome, if you wanted to go on vacation and use your Marriott discount. Mr. Marriott will come in and greet his employees once a year or so, very nice and genuine person. We had an awesome GM that was always in a good mood.

Cons

I was sad when another hotel brand bought the hotel, had it not been for school, I would have transferred to another Marriott hotel. After a the hotel changed its name, the GM was replaced and the hotel went down after that.

Advice to Management

None