There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Limited career growth

Former Employee - Housekeeping Team Lead  in  Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Housekeeping Team Lead in Columbus, OH

I worked at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upper management is friendly to all employees, great global reputation. They give empowerment to even the lower level employees to correct customer service failures.

Cons

Limited career growth. I took an entry level position as my first full time job after graduating college with a hospitality management degree. After 10 months at my position I started applying to some open positions that were just a step above what my current position was and I got passed over each time for someone who didn't have a degree but had been working at the hotel for 5+ years. I understand the value of experience but I don't have 5 years to waste making barely above minimum wage. So I switched to another company and after 4 months I was promoted and now make twice what I made at Marriott.

Give more chances to the young motivated people, maybe you'd be surprised at what they can do.

1301 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Looks can be deceiving

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at a TownePlace by marriot. Pros were that I wasn't tired after my shift or worn out, i got to work alone without my manager hovering over me, and i only had to work a few days because of the long shifts.

Cons

Cons were that there was zero communication that was at all helpful. My manager was never there because she was in charge of two hotels.she was always rude to me, disrespectful, and left passive-aggressive notes in our notebook we used to communicate. how can a hotel run on written communication like that? i was not trained well enough and constantly had no idea how to do anything that was out of the ordinary. i always had to call the other hotel and ask them or call my other manager. i worked at night so i always checked people in. we were supposed to get $1 each walk-in though i never saw proof of this or reflected in my pay check.

scores/surveys ran the hotel and changed her mood. the scores were low because the owners were cheap, hotel rooms were ugly and unappealing, no one is thoroughly trained ,and the hotel is deceiving in terms of looks. i was given one day a week my last week and knew that something was suspicious when she was hiring 3 other people for front desk. i was called in out of the ordinary at an abnormal time, and i knew i was getting "let go" because we were put on a 90 day probation which is why their turnover is so high. i think it's bs, so i gave them two weeks notice before they could fire me. they said to just go. i could not have been happier.

communicate! stop leaving notes and speak with people to their face! 90 PROBATION IS BS. train people effectively so your turnover rate is not off the charts. even long term stay guests noticed the turn over.BE RESPECTFUL AND ASK US OUR PREFERENCE FOR HOLIDAY HOURS

Terrible management

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Bartender in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely loved my co-workers and I really enjoyed my job as it was.

Cons

Over worked. My manager promised me to work my schedule around my college courses, then constantly asked me to skip classes to work. Management does not care about the staff, they just want good scores. Often times coworkers would know before the employee about a wrongdoing.

Learn to communicate with staff directly.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!