Marriott

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

A Once Great Company In Decline

Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Can work anywhere in the world and virtually the same systems will in place - "brand standards."

-Many people circulate within larger hotels, so you can have the good fortune of working with many of the same great associates.

-When corporate culture that is portrayed as standard is in place, this is a fabulous company with high morals, and quality associates and managers.

-All sorts of interesting people come through the door as associates and many good times are had. We are a family unit under the best of circumstances.

Cons

-Marriott has been for about 5 years now doing everything they can to cut expenses, no matter the consequences towards our core goals as a company.

-Lack of consistency within management towards guests and associates. Guests are given the benefit of the doubt - even when they are abusive towards staff. Guests are rewarded with comps and upgrades for bad behaviour in many circumstances.

-GSS (Guest Satisfaction Survey) is given too much credence as a tool. Careers/Reviews are made and broken based on a flawed mechanism of survey. In a busy conference hotel we may have 15,000 check-ins per month, perhaps 100-200 or so guests will return surveys, and based on that feedback we get our scores of Overall Satisfaction, etc. Too much emphasis is pushed through this mechanism via corporate, however the reality is the owners (not Marriott) don't care as long as the hotel makes money.

-Punitive actions are not consistent. Rules are enforced one month and not the next, etc. There will be concerted pushes by managers to push certain associates out for minor infractions, that other associates will just be talked to about given the same circumstances.

A return to Core Principles. Making Happy Associates make for Happy guests. As Mr. Marriott has transitioned out of the company these last years so has that old adage, and it is a shame.

1454 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Marriott Experience from me, a bottom level employee

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Great people, great locations, great scenery

Cons

Management does not show interest in you.

Care more

Many unprofessional supervisors and coworkers. Not a job for anyone outside of hospitality area.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at Marriott part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping people, getting to see regular guests.

Cons

VERY HIGH turnover rate, problems with upper management. Never rewarded or commended for a job well done at this property, no room for advancement unless you plan to work at this property for a minimum of at least ten years. Hires in a lot of full time college students with expectations of them being able to work full time.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott