There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Banquet Server  in  Hilton Head Island, SC
Former Employee - Banquet Server in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

Pros

learned how not to be a manager

Cons

long hours with no breaks
manager that didn't speak English well
assigned to menial tasks for hours at a time

Don't treat interns as just cheap, disposable summer labor. It would have been nice to know you cared about my training and advancement.

1295 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Bad Salary

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Supportive with personal time

Cons

Very low salary. No Sick or personal days. Just 12 days a year for anything (sickness, vacation, personal, etc)

A Once Great Company In Decline

Current Employee - Front Desk  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Can work anywhere in the world and virtually the same systems will in place - "brand standards."

-Many people circulate within larger hotels, so you can have the good fortune of working with many of the same great associates.

-When corporate culture that is portrayed as standard is in place, this is a fabulous company with high morals, and quality associates and managers.

-All sorts of interesting people come through the door as associates and many good times are had. We are a family unit under the best of circumstances.

Cons

-Marriott has been for about 5 years now doing everything they can to cut expenses, no matter the consequences towards our core goals as a company.

-Lack of consistency within management towards guests and associates. Guests are given the benefit of the doubt - even when they are abusive towards staff. Guests are rewarded with comps and upgrades for bad behaviour in many circumstances.

-GSS (Guest Satisfaction Survey) is given too much credence as a tool. Careers/Reviews are made and broken based on a flawed mechanism of survey. In a busy conference hotel we may have 15,000 check-ins per month, perhaps 100-200 or so guests will return surveys, and based on that feedback we get our scores of Overall Satisfaction, etc. Too much emphasis is pushed through this mechanism via corporate, however the reality is the owners (not Marriott) don't care as long as the hotel makes money.

-Punitive actions are not consistent. Rules are enforced one month and not the next, etc. There will be concerted pushes by managers to push certain associates out for minor infractions, that other associates will just be talked to about given the same circumstances.

A return to Core Principles. Making Happy Associates make for Happy guests. As Mr. Marriott has transitioned out of the company these last years so has that old adage, and it is a shame.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!