There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Frustrating place to work

Former Employee - Chief Engineer
Former Employee - Chief Engineer

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Marriott owned or managed properties are typically of higher quality than some of the other hotel brands. They have good medical benefits.

Cons

They promise many things during interviews that never come to fruition after employment. Just to mention a few: career advancement - after working below my skill set for over a year, I was not allowed to move to the day shift and position I was promised. I was talso old there was a myriad of management training resources available, but my supervisors could never get around to getting me set up in the system to take advantage of them. I was also told during interviews there is a bonus program, but when the details were made clear upon my insistence (after I took the job) my manager had to admit the the metrics to qualify for bonus were next to impossible to meet.

Be more transparent and honest in representing the Marriott brand. I once asked my Director of Engineering if he would act the same way in front of Mr. Marriott as he does with us, and he would not answer me. This is not being a good steward of what could/should be a great company.

1295 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

They are okay if you are in transition

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, job advancement, staff other than GM

Cons

GM, no healthy work/life balance.

Don't suck as much

Was great as little as 3 years ago; now...wow...where to begin?

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great training and probably the best in hospitality; help you to see from a macro perspective; great leadership 3 years ago; a sense of team spirit; great at allowing job transfers, changes.

Cons

now with all of the changes within the sales environment, where to begin?
    - capped on bonuses so where is the motivation?
    - only company I've ever worked for where the minimum work week is at LEAST 50 hours or more
    - expectation is being available 24/7, no excuses
    - no work/life balance anymore
    etc

stop cutting back your sales people; stop putting caps on sales bonuses and demotivating everyone in the field and telling everyone "its better for the customer" because when you're losing marketshare, it's really NOT better for the customer and it's all about cost containment

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!