Frustrating place to work

Former Employee - Chief Engineer
Former Employee - Chief Engineer

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Marriott owned or managed properties are typically of higher quality than some of the other hotel brands. They have good medical benefits.

Cons

They promise many things during interviews that never come to fruition after employment. Just to mention a few: career advancement - after working below my skill set for over a year, I was not allowed to move to the day shift and position I was promised. I was talso old there was a myriad of management training resources available, but my supervisors could never get around to getting me set up in the system to take advantage of them. I was also told during interviews there is a bonus program, but when the details were made clear upon my insistence (after I took the job) my manager had to admit the the metrics to qualify for bonus were next to impossible to meet.

Be more transparent and honest in representing the Marriott brand. I once asked my Director of Engineering if he would act the same way in front of Mr. Marriott as he does with us, and he would not answer me. This is not being a good steward of what could/should be a great company.

Other Reviews for Marriott

They are okay if you are in transition

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, job advancement, staff other than GM

Cons

GM, no healthy work/life balance.

Don't suck as much

Good but could be so much better!

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Marriott is a good company overall; compensation and benefits-wise.

Cons

There is ittle accountability at senior level. Career progression is about who you know, not your performance but that's the case in many large companies. There are little opportunities for cross-training, once you're in a discipline, you're stuck in it.

Marriott is now so big that decision-making is too slow and speed-to-market which is essential misses the mark every time. A shame.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!