Marriott
www.marriott.com Bethesda, MD 5000+ Employees

Frustrating place to work

Chief Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMarriott owned or managed properties are typically of higher quality than some of the other hotel brands. They have good medical benefits.

ConsThey promise many things during interviews that never come to fruition after employment. Just to mention a few: career advancement - after working below my skill set for over a year, I was not allowed to move to the day shift and position I was promised. I was talso old there was a myriad of management training resources available, but my supervisors could never get around to getting me set up in the system to take advantage of them. I was also told during interviews there is a bonus program, but when the details were made clear upon my insistence (after I took the job) my manager had to admit the the metrics to qualify for bonus were next to impossible to meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and honest in representing the Marriott brand. I once asked my Director of Engineering if he would act the same way in front of Mr. Marriott as he does with us, and he would not answer me. This is not being a good steward of what could/should be a great company.

They are okay if you are in transition

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Newark, NJ

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Pros: Compensation, job advancement, staff other than GM Cons: GM, no healthy work/life balance. Advice to Senior Management: Don't suck as much No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Was great as little as 3 years ago; now...wow...where to begin?

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: great training and probably the best in hospitality; help you to see from a macro perspective;… Cons: now with all of the changes within the sales environment, where to begin? - capped on bonuses so where is the motivation? - only company I've ever… Advice to Senior Management: stop cutting back your sales people; stop putting caps on sales bonuses and demotivating everyone in the field and telling everyone "its… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Marriott.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.