There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

great experience at this job

Current Employee - Front Desk in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Front Desk in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun environment at this job

Cons

grouchy guests at this job

make your lower level employees happy

1347 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Just not enough pay
    Just not enough pay for what we do

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Marriott full-time

Pros

The hotel discount is nice...if you can get it.

Cons

For what we do, the pay just isn't enough. We are the heart of the hotel, we have to deal with every guest and guess what, when something is wrong at the restaurant? They yell at us. When the event isn't go well? We have to fix it. The housekeepers didn't do their job? We hear about it. We need hazard pay for what we deal with.

Pay us more. We don't even get free food at my hotel, just cheap food....that the chef hasn't changed in years.

Great Learning Experience but Stressful with Long Hours

Former Employee - Revenue Manager
    Former Employee - Revenue Manager

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Opportunities to move around the world and between departments
    Many employees have been with the company for decades and are extremely knowledgable
    Training programs are exceptional

Cons

All Revenue Manager's are required to work 50 hours, but really work many more than that. (my bosses worked 70+ hours)
    Little respect for life work balance.
    While you learn alot, your responsibilities are strictly defined so you do not learn about other roles unless you move into them.
    Marriott has created independent structures for Sales/Revenue/Operations so while they work together they often do not get along creating a often adversarial work environment.
    Pay is often below market value, though Marriott tries to make up for it with benefits.
    You often feel like you work for a huge company, with all the politics and bureaucracy that goes with it. You feel more like a number than a person.

Marriott makes its money from franchise fees and as a % of the profit of it's managed hotels. They have organized the company in a way to squeeze the maximum profit from everything including people, which makes sense for a publicly traded company. This organization has created a disconnected and bureaucratic workplace without the camaraderie of a normal hotel but with more stress and pressure than a normal hotel. Consider reworking the structure that has been created in the past few years and dial back the 50 hour work week. Everyone who works in hotels knows that many times throughout the year we are required to work extended hours, and we do it willingly, forcing us to do it just makes us resent it.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott