It Pays to Work Hard at Marriott

Current Employee - Catering Sales Executive in Bethesda, MD
Current Employee - Catering Sales Executive in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Marriott provides a supportive work environment. They have some of the best training in the industry and provide employees with the opportunity to move around and work in serveral departments. Management encourages a wide breadth of experience and are encouraged to push emoployees to try new things and departments. The benefits-medical and retirement are decent enough and competative with those in the industry, as is the pay. There is a choice in plans for medical and the majority if not all of dental, vision, disability and life insurance are covered. Marriott retirment savings will match what you put in up to a ceratain percentage. They are many resources available to all employees for everything from cell phone discounts to help with life planning. The employee discounts on rooms aren't to shabby either!

Cons

Being the hospitality industry hours can't be helped. If you are working on property in an operations department, you are going to work nights and weekends. This isn't neccessarily a bad thing, depending on your lifestyle and other obligations. They will always try to give you your two days off in a row as if it is a real weekend. The hours for manager are less than ideal. You must work a minimum of 50 hours per week, whether it is busy or not. Most managers are salaried so this is looser for them than others, however with a new change in some positions, some have been switched to hourly, which means working 10.5 hours per day in order to make their promised salary. There are also problems with going from property jobs to corporate jobs. There is little cross over from one to the other as they make it hard to have the proper requirements/experience to do so.

Advice to Management

Always be open and honest about changes that are happening in the company, particularly when they directly effect the employees. Keep up with the training available and encourage all employees to take advantage of said training. The associate appreciation events are a great way to show you care, however many properties do not participate, or do so in a limited fashion. Strongly encourge/mandate properties to participate in these pivotal activities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Marriott - An excellent employer to work for!

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Marriott strives to treat its employees well. One of the core philosophies of Marriott is, "If you treat your employees well, they will treat your customers well, and your customers will come back to you." Marriott offers professional development courses to help you grow and advance professionally. The benefits are nice, and I've stayed at many nice hotels on a highly discounted rate.

Cons

Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. To put it another way, Marriott has so many different departments, such as Reservations, Customer Care, and Guest Services, that it is difficult to know what is going on.

Advice to Management

My only advice or feedback would be to improve communication. Let your employees know what's going on within the company's many different departments.

2. Magnificent Marriott, come join our fabulous team.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

I have worked for Marriott for almost 10 years. I have worked for 5 hotels from 300 rooms to over 1000. The teams I have worked with have been amazing-teamwork, helpful, hands on. I know have children and my hotel is flexible so I can be an awesome mom and sales manager.

Cons

Lots of hours in the beginnning. The company is large so information is sometimes slow and we can't change all that quickly.

Advice to Management

Always remember to say thank you to associates and re-evaluate the pay scale. Starting out after college, it can be hard to get all the bills paid.