Marriott

System Administrator

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Excellent opportunity for movement within company. Marriott prefers to promote employees before hiring in. Excellent benefits package. Good friendly people easy to talk to and work with.

Cons

After working some time at Marriott, technical skill set may become somewhat specialized to your specific area and their particular environment; it may be difficult to find work at the same level upon leaving the company.

Management does a good job of disseminating information to employees. In my observation they could generally improve on the structuring of priorities.

1454 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Great place to work but very hard to get promoted

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Exceptional senior leadership; creative, smart, hard working associates abound; most department leaders are very flexible with work/life issues and balance; some training opportunities still exist even in this economy; most managers are open and approachable to new ideas and ways of doing things; there's a good amount of comraderie among the workforce.

Cons

The company has been moving to a flatter hierarchy for a couple of years now. As a result, movement up the ladder the ladder has been hampered. HR now touts the benefits of "lateral career moves". While I see the value of such moves in these economic times, I believe most people like myself ultimately want to move up, lead a team, and receive higher compensation. Such opportunities are few and far between (even before the economy tanked). I don't recommend bloated organizations but exellent performance year in and year out deserves recognition in my opinion.

Time to start developing the "bench" a bit more. We have highly qualified people leading the company and believe the company is in excellent hands. However, given these individuals' tenure and move toward a flatter organization, it's more and more difficult to gain the experience needed to reach the next level and stay within the company. I anticipate a fair amount of talent flight once the economy picks up.

Beware!! This is as bad as it gets for an IT organization.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

You can work remotely with reasonable notice to coworkers. On the other hand, you will be working seven days a week.

Cons

Astoundingly inept project management in applicatoin development groups and shared services departments. Zero lateral movement within the organization. Once you are nailed into a position, whether you are qualified or not, you-are-stuck. This place has all the "cons" you can imagine for an IT shop: a mega-"hero" culture; no real planning or priority setting, consequently fire-fighting, panic meetings dominate activities; no training; no salary increases for three years; surprise layoffs and demotions. In short, it's an IT sweat shop run by some of the most incompetent managers on the planet.

Bill Marriott - it's time to fish or cut bait. You run a hospitality business. Outsource this sick puppy of an IT organization. If you don't want to do that, clean house and bring in professional IT directors and managers. It's time to jettison your home-grown IT managers who have done nothing but accrue tenure. These dummies are wasting millions and they don't have the experience or competence to "globalize" your business. Each month you wait puts you further behind the competion.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott