System Administrator

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD

Pros

Excellent opportunity for movement within company. Marriott prefers to promote employees before hiring in. Excellent benefits package. Good friendly people easy to talk to and work with.

Cons

After working some time at Marriott, technical skill set may become somewhat specialized to your specific area and their particular environment; it may be difficult to find work at the same level upon leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Management does a good job of disseminating information to employees. In my observation they could generally improve on the structuring of priorities.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott

1. Look elsewhere

Current Employee - Front Office Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Office Clerk in Orlando, FL

Pros

The prizes and benefits package

Cons

They will promise you the world, hire you and then change your job description. You will never get a raise, there is little to no communication, "Good ol' boys club" atmosphere. extremely deficient in terms of diversity. (only one african american manager at a time)

Advice to Management

need new management

Great place to work but very hard to get promoted

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Exceptional senior leadership; creative, smart, hard working associates abound; most department leaders are very flexible with work/life issues and balance; some training opportunities still exist even in this economy; most managers are open and approachable to new ideas and ways of doing things; there's a good amount of comraderie among the workforce.

Cons

The company has been moving to a flatter hierarchy for a couple of years now. As a result, movement up the ladder the ladder has been hampered. HR now touts the benefits of "lateral career moves". While I see the value of such moves in these economic times, I believe most people like myself ultimately want to move up, lead a team, and receive higher compensation. Such opportunities are few and far between (even before the economy tanked). I don't recommend bloated organizations but exellent performance year in and year out deserves recognition in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Time to start developing the "bench" a bit more. We have highly qualified people leading the company and believe the company is in excellent hands. However, given these individuals' tenure and move toward a flatter organization, it's more and more difficult to gain the experience needed to reach the next level and stay within the company. I anticipate a fair amount of talent flight once the economy picks up.