Marriott

www.marriott.com

My experience at Marriott has been good.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Detroit, MI

Pros

The people are great, and the company provides decent benefits. And the discounts are awesome. Some of the guests are cool to meet.

Cons

It's hospitality so the hours are awful. You start either too early in the morning or end too late at night, and you never get weekends or holidays off. A lot of guests are very demanding and abusive to staff.

The philosophy of Marriott is putting employes first. More can be done for employees to make this promise a reality.

Other reviews for Marriott

Low Pay, Politics with upper management, but good learning experience(Saddle Brook Marriott location ONLY )

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  Saddle Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Saddle Brook, NJ

Pros

Good networking opportunities, hands-on learning experience, great job for social butterflies

Cons

Low pay, not enough employee appreciation, upper management was very cliquey. Scheduling was unfair.

Personality is crucial to a hospitality business but there were some select few who were not fit for the job. Have more incentives for hard working employees. Pay can be much better.Scheduling was terrible.

I had high expectations of this company

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Hollywood Park, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Hollywood Park, TX

Pros

Marriott has a great company culture. They are "supposed to" treat their employees exceptionally well because as Mr. Marriott always said, "Take great care of your employees, and in turn, they will take great care of your guests"
    Awesome hotel discounts. During the 4th quarter of the year, there is an even bigger discount on top of your ALREADY discounted rate.
    Good employee recognition programs and events.
    SO much opportunity for advancement. You can apply for a new position every 6 months.

Cons

This is of course, only for the location I was working at, which was the Sales & Reservations Center. The position is in a call center and the calls never stopped. There is a goal you have to meet as far as converting calls into reservations but its really not hard and if you don't meet it, management coaches you on what you can do better. Its kind of a low paying wage so the type of people who apply for this job are often young, inexperienced and extremely immature. I was often embarrassed upon hearing the way some of my coworkers sounded on the phone and how rude they were to guests. There were a lot of bad apples working there and because of them, we were ALL treated like children at a playground. Management lacked maturity as well, showed a lot of favoritism and treated their entire team like kids, always dismissing any concerns or frustrations. If you are a mature responsible adult, looking for a real career opportunity, I would not apply at the call center. You will be very unhappy. I haven't completely given up on Marriott yet, I may just try my luck at a hotel property, NEVER AGAIN at the call center.

Treat your employees on the "front lines" well. They are the first contact with your guest.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!