Good Management, Fun Coworkers, Good Experience

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Marriott part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was always willing to work with my availability. There were a fair amount of opportunities to advance. Everyone was always willing to offer a helping hand. The work environment was fun and lighthearted. The staff was a fun and everyone almost always got along.

Cons

There were never enough workers to cover shifts. Shifts were often too hectic and frustrating. High turnover rate which lead to a period of "lack of togetherness."

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good Starting Place at Courtyard

I have been working at Marriott part-time

Pros

For someone with a future in Hotel industries and studying it in school great starting spot and the job expirence is invaluable. Learned alot and its a very nice hotel easily one of the top in town.

Cons

Communication is poor, departments dont get along management wise. In a smaller town the amount of canidates for certain positions must be lacking because some of the hires are head scractching. Im just here to learn and this place has plenty good and bad to take forward.

Advice to Management

We are a franchised hotel so I will not knock Marriott, the company that owns us sucks and I wish Marriott would get in the owners of the hotel more and not let them cut so many corners. Hurting the name Marriott which I am proud to work for.

2. Amazing introduction to the hospitality industry.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Marriott full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great policies, and a very guest-oriented view of the hotel world.

Cons

Depending on franchise owner, can be rather bad at keeping employees happy, which is a big part of the Marriott philosophy.

Advice to Management

Don't sell your hourly staff short! They dedicate a lot of time and effort to the company, often at the expense of big portions of their personal lives; it's important to recognize and reward these workers when possible. I've always been treated very well, but I have seen some employees who have not.