There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Working at the Gaylord Texan is awesome

Current Employee - Concierge in Grapevine, TX
Current Employee - Concierge in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees, the atmosphere, the guests.

Cons

Walking to the employee parking at night in the dark.

reviews filtered by

Great benefits and environment

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the chance to enhance the guest experience, and Marriott's dedication to training all employees.

Cons

Hotels make lots of money, but pay very little to their employees.

Advice to Management

Not really to management, but more to ownership - the more you invest in your employees, the longer they will stay. Having to train and hire constantly wears down your middle management, and with pay so low to the line level you will always have high turnover.

2. Fun and rewarding industry!

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked for a small property management company that opened it's first Courtyard Marriott. I was the Director of Sales for the Pre-Opening Team. Received warm welcome from Marriott Corporate, great training, and tremendous tools to be successful. Compensation, bonus structure, and benefits were all very good.

Cons

As a Modern Essentials Marriott Hotel with 125 sleeping rooms and 4 large meeting/banquet rooms which the Bistro Department was to prepare food, drinks, and serve for, the DOS should have been able to hire an Administrative Assistant/Inside Catering Coordinator to ensure the highest return on investment and total guest satisfaction! I absolutely loved building client relationships and closing sales, but no one can work unlimited hours and have a balance of career and family life in a management position, when Business Development by Outside Sales is the main responsibility. 50-60 per week is a can-do; however, 70-100 hours is not. No one can be 2 places at once and answer to requests from 5 different staff members in upper management. "Someone is not going to be happy!"

Advice to Management

Please listen to your Director of Sales and hire an inside Catering Coordinator, because 1 person can not do it all and please every client to the best of his ability. When you bring on a Pre-opening Team Member to open your new hotel and then we all become like family by growing to love and respect each another, please do not throw that family member to the curb, once the BIG clients are on the books, just because you have an Operational VP with no hospitality background who wants to treat him as a number and not a person. I developed your business and had plans to do my very best and grow with this company. The city we live in may be big, but our community prefers to support and do business with others who live within our community. They do not take kindly to the way you treat a good employee. PS: My goal is to buy my own portfolio of Marriott hotels and give your franchise a run for their money!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott