There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

I liked the company culture & the diversity

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

It was an OK company to work for. Evening & holiday shifts are not the most enjoyable.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott

So far, so good...

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had the pleasure of dealing with some of the nicest, smartest, and most engaged people. The environment that I work in doesn't take itself too seriously and still gets a lot of work done. I enjoy having the opportunity to manage multiple projects simultaneously and interact with different disciplines throughout the company, globally. My manager is hands-on but doesn't micro-manage; my team is fun and helpful; my clients are mostly good to work with (though, I do have a few who are difficult) and let me be a strategic partner to them. The company itself seems to care for its employees, though some may disagree. I personally have not experienced anything negative in that area. Marriott offers decent benefits, decent salary and bonus structure (for mgmt positions), a decent building (currently under renovations to increase collaborative work spaces) with an amazing cafeteria, a gym, fitness classes, innovative learning opportunities, volunteer opportunities, and social networking. Most opportunities for advancement are internal (some would say that's a con because it is hard to get into Marriott from the outside). Marriott is all about collaboration (sometimes, a little too much) among teams and flexibility. The company has a flexible workplace philosophy, which is mostly adopted and modeled by leadership. And, there are the discounts when you stay at specific Marriott properties (not all properties give them).

Cons

The biggest con for me is the vacation and salary. As a new hire - my vacation is terrible. Your vacation and sick time are combined and you only get 12 days total the first year. Plus, you accrue it so don't think about making plans until after the first year. This used to be different but recently changed to the new system. Also, the salary isn't that great for a company of this size (and span) but it's decent and they do have a decent bonus structure for management positions and above. The commute is long, but that's a personal choice (not the fault of Marriott). And, depending on what discipline you're in - Marriott loves to restructure. I think my team has been restructured and placed under new management three or four times over the past several years. That doesn't help the team's morale or the appearance of stability.

2. For several years I enjoyed working for Marriott. Over the past few years, I have come to feel differently.

I have been working at Marriott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are in the right hotel or office, the company can be a great place to learn and grow your career

Cons

If you are in the wrong hotel, with poor leadership, your career can be put into jeopardy.