There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Marriott one of the best places to work in the IT field.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Perks and New technology to learn

Cons

Salary not at the median level.

They are doing a good job

1372 Other Employee Reviews for Marriott (View Most Recent)

Marriott is family centered company that believes in taking care of their employees.

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Marriott has a very family centered corporate culture. Employees seem to stay with Marriott for many years, which I think is a true testament to Marriott's ideals of promoting employees within the Marriott Brands.

Cons

The income potential seems to be lower than the competitiors. When working at a smaller Marriott property you are given more responsiblitly within your job function without the reward of higher pay. The other downside is accruing PTO as you work instead of having 2 or 3 weeks that you can take any time after your 90 days of employment with the company.

I would suggest that Marriott re-evaulate the pay ranges for all postions continuously to be competitive with other companies in the hospitality industry. I also would suggest giving a standard 2 or 3 weeks off after the completion of an employee's first 90 days instead of the accural of PTO time througout the year.

Pass over this one, and move on to the next hotel

Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Savannah, GA

I worked at Marriott

Pros

They are a marquee name in the hospitality industry. I am really not sure if my experience is universal or localized at the Savannah Riverfront Marriott.

Cons

I worked in the newly opened Spa and it was a complete fiasco. Two years later and I'm still a bit disturbed by it. Direct Management was hired as a favor to one of the senior managers' sisters (aka nepotism). This was a fact, not idle gossip. Mismanagement at every step, including overzealous training methods, underutilization of employee's time, misrepresentation of promotion opportunities, etc. Extremely questionable hiring practice, at one point, it felt that they hired everyone who answered the ad and eventually let go over 60% of their hires within 2 weeks. No policies, no written rules, the management would arbitrarily make them up and then change them as she deemed. For example, she canceled Friends and Family day for the spa employees without previous notice or announcement, but allowed her own guests to come in free of charge. I was working that day, trust me, the back of the house was furious and complaining to me all day long, but what could I do? She was never available to help with transactions or other issues. Most importantly, the management had told all the employees that they would be earning higher wages than they actually would receive at paperwork time. In other words, they told us one thing and then gave us something else. The old bait and switch. I was hired as a receptionist, not a martyr. I finally quit after 2 months.

Not sure if they worked it out or not, but they really should of hired someone who had experience running a professional salon, rather than hired an unqualified friend of a friend. Written rules and consultants would have been helpful, as well as consistent feedback about performance and promotion opportunties.

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott