There are newer employer reviews for Marriott

Marriott one of the best places to work in the IT field.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Perks and New technology to learn

Cons

Salary not at the median level.

Advice to Management

They are doing a good job

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pass over this one, and move on to the next hotel

Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Savannah, GA

I worked at Marriott

Pros

They are a marquee name in the hospitality industry. I am really not sure if my experience is universal or localized at the Savannah Riverfront Marriott.

Cons

I worked in the newly opened Spa and it was a complete fiasco. Two years later and I'm still a bit disturbed by it. Direct Management was hired as a favor to one of the senior managers' sisters (aka nepotism). This was a fact, not idle gossip. Mismanagement at every step, including overzealous training methods, underutilization of employee's time, misrepresentation of promotion opportunities, etc. Extremely questionable hiring practice, at one point, it felt that they hired everyone who answered the ad and eventually let go over 60% of their hires within 2 weeks. No policies, no written rules, the management would arbitrarily make them up and then change them as she deemed. For example, she canceled Friends and Family day for the spa employees without previous notice or announcement, but allowed her own guests to come in free of charge. I was working that day, trust me, the back of the house was furious and complaining to me all day long, but what could I do? She was never available to help with transactions or other issues. Most importantly, the management had told all the employees that they would be earning higher wages than they actually would receive at paperwork time. In other words, they told us one thing and then gave us something else. The old bait and switch. I was hired as a receptionist, not a martyr. I finally quit after 2 months.

Advice to Management

Not sure if they worked it out or not, but they really should of hired someone who had experience running a professional salon, rather than hired an unqualified friend of a friend. Written rules and consultants would have been helpful, as well as consistent feedback about performance and promotion opportunties.

2. Better than some

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Marriott

Pros

They are very flexible with your need for time off. Their attendance policy is very useful, once you learn how to work with the rules. The benefits are awesome, expensive, but awesome.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for promotion. You are stuck on the floor, unless you are a mindless and uneducated worker bee. There was also very little communication from upper management. The employees come in three categories, those that are there for a short time, uneducated people who are there because they can't get anything better, and college students. If you are a college student, don't expect a promotion. Also, very few people actually get to the hotel they want, if they get to a hotel at all. If you want to be at a hotel, you are better off to start there. Once you get to a certain pay you will not likely to get them to pay that at a hotel.

Advice to Management

They need to communicate better.