Marriott Vacation Club

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott Vacation Club

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Thomas, VI
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Thomas, VI

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I sold Timeshare for Marriott and enjoyed the work environment. The training is great and and the management works hard to prepare you and give you all the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

Very Corporate attmosphere, it felt very cookie cutter for the sales process . I feel like if its a sales job you really have to let your personality shine , and it should be a bit more fun ..

reviews filtered by

Sales Exec

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Singer Island, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Singer Island, FL

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great perks, enjoy the interaction with clients from all over the world (at least most of them), hours a great.

Cons

100% commish, best leads/tours give to the top sales exec - difficult to get to the top if you are not writing (and at the bottom you are fed least desirable tours), too many "lines", some rules are not black & white - rules change as needed, focus lost as to goal of TO line (at least at our resort)

Advice to Management

N/A

2. It's a time share company...but Marriott. Well, kind of..

Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Structured, professional, new company (freshly spun off from Marriott International). Marriott tends to play by the book, which has it's own pros and cons. MVCI does tend to promote within, at least from a property standpoint. I was promoted from an entry level front desk agent to a supervisor after about a year.

Cons

As far as my position, compensation was not up to par. I am now employed for another company as a manager and have realized that I was undercompensated for my position and responsibilities. Labor is mainly provided for by owners' maintenance fees, and most owners would not like to give you a raise or even proper compensation! Time shares age with time, and will need constant renovation. Owners' "property" values may decrease, but their maintenance fees will remain high and rise. The future for this industry is not comforting. MVCI is a newer company as well, since Mr. Marriott created an entirely new entity for the timeshare sector of Marriott (Marriott Vacation Club International, or MVCI/MVW), separate from Marriott International. They have dramatically trimmed down labor expenses nation wide by minimalizing the Human Resources and Accounting departments, basically centralizing them regionally. This cost many great, long term employees their jobs.

As with any large international company, politics will take place. They prioritize "Bench Managers" (college graduates on a paid year internship) over other internal employees that may be just as qualified for advancement, if not more qualified.

Also, from a property standpoint, owners have a great sense of entitlement. This seeds from the sales department painting wonderful pictures of an owner's investment which are often unrealistic and unmeetable. If you're seeking a position in operations, then brace youself!

Advice to Management

SOPs are a necessity, but is it necessary to have one for literally everything? Also, the downsizing of your HR and accounting departments was a poor move. Not a wise way to stimulate the economy nor employee morale and trust!

There are newer employer reviews for Marriott Vacation Club