Marriott Vacation Club

www.marriottvacationsworldwide.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Marriott Vacation Club

Great work atmosphere, horrible upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Earning money was easy, easy job if you enjoy working hard, fun and chill atmosphere. Benefits were INCREDIBLE!! I regretted leaving because my heart broke when I quit, but it was my time to go.

Cons

management have the tendency to think only about the dollar signs and less about how they treat the people who actually face the guests. they forget that we are the ones selling what they are offering, and that we work hard so that they can sit in an office all day. No room for movement unless you are performing extra-curricular duties for management of some kind (read between the lines there....) Need to be more flexible with your hard-working employees. and DEFINITELY need to be more adaptable to change!! Not everyone wants to spend $16 on a cheeseburger and fries if they aren't super spectacular.

Advice to Management

out with the old folks, in with the semi-younger crowd! you'll never get fresh ideas for bigger and better sales until you gain more youthful management! (not talking about teenagers, strictly speaking about mid-twenties, early thirties - - - it would help the company more than you know!)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Thomas, VI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Thomas, VI

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I sold Timeshare for Marriott and enjoyed the work environment. The training is great and and the management works hard to prepare you and give you all the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

Very Corporate attmosphere, it felt very cookie cutter for the sales process . I feel like if its a sales job you really have to let your personality shine , and it should be a bit more fun ..

2. It's a time share company...but Marriott. Well, kind of..

Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structured, professional, new company (freshly spun off from Marriott International). Marriott tends to play by the book, which has it's own pros and cons. MVCI does tend to promote within, at least from a property standpoint. I was promoted from an entry level front desk agent to a supervisor after about a year.

Cons

As far as my position, compensation was not up to par. I am now employed for another company as a manager and have realized that I was undercompensated for my position and responsibilities. Labor is mainly provided for by owners' maintenance fees, and most owners would not like to give you a raise or even proper compensation! Time shares age with time, and will need constant renovation. Owners' "property" values may decrease, but their maintenance fees will remain high and rise. The future for this industry is not comforting. MVCI is a newer company as well, since Mr. Marriott created an entirely new entity for the timeshare sector of Marriott (Marriott Vacation Club International, or MVCI/MVW), separate from Marriott International. They have dramatically trimmed down labor expenses nation wide by minimalizing the Human Resources and Accounting departments, basically centralizing them regionally. This cost many great, long term employees their jobs.

As with any large international company, politics will take place. They prioritize "Bench Managers" (college graduates on a paid year internship) over other internal employees that may be just as qualified for advancement, if not more qualified.

Also, from a property standpoint, owners have a great sense of entitlement. This seeds from the sales department painting wonderful pictures of an owner's investment which are often unrealistic and unmeetable. If you're seeking a position in operations, then brace youself!

Advice to Management

SOPs are a necessity, but is it necessary to have one for literally everything? Also, the downsizing of your HR and accounting departments was a poor move. Not a wise way to stimulate the economy nor employee morale and trust!