Mars
www.mars.com McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

Dissapointed by lack of direction and investment. Management only interested in self-promotion.

Lead Operator (Current Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Mars

ProsSecure employment as long as you keep your head down and agree with your manager all the time. Pay is average. Free chocolate that is often out of date. Shop floor operatives are hard working and passionate about what they do.

ConsThe culture of nepatism is destroying any chance of getting anything done. It takes 10 years to develop a good relationship with any of the long term staff (and there are a lot of them) in order to get anything done. This is very demoralising as a profesional engineer to have to make lots of plastic friends in order to achieve the simplest resolution to a problem. You should be able to ask a profesional to complete a task and he/she should just do it without weeks of office flirting and gallons of coffee. Way to much focus on soft skills and no visible means of improving manufacturing, mechanical or electrical skill levels. Any monkey can pick up a spanner and hit the machinery then ask for help saying ' I didn't touch it'. It makes for a miserable existance when you have to keep fixing the same issues day in day out. I will be leaving here soon and will not look back with fond memories.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some proper management training and put down the Mars manual. Be human not a Mars robot. And for god sake stop promoting people just because they have been there a long time, experience does not always equal competance.

Good Company' not forward looking, however

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Mars

Pros: Good work/life balance Good People Private company Free candy Cons: Poor Intern level Pay Office is in the middle of nowhere Advice to Senior Management: Be more strategic and forward looking Stop buying your own nonsense; pay… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Run, run Forrest run!

I have been working at Mars

Pros: Great salary and benefits. Good work life balance. Cons: Very little support to conduct your job. Very quick… Advice to Senior Management: Need to look at the whole picture! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Mars.

Worked for Mars? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mars reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mars CEO Paul S. Michaels. All reviews posted anonymously by Mars employees.